Sign in with
Your question

AMD build help - upgrade

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2009 7:17:51 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: No huge rush. Would wait for a good deal. Plan to be done by the end of the year.
BUDGET RANGE: Around 350 After Rebates and incl shipping

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Editing (and playing back)HD home videos (no major editing, though). Occasional gaming - not planning on playing the latest and greatest at highest settings. Occasional HTPC. Rendering videos to Xbox 360.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
already have - 250GB SATA HDD, keyboard, mouse, NEC DVD-rw,liteon dvdrom/cd-rw, win 7 64, 19" lcd monitor, 5.1 logitech speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, hoping to score a few good combo deals. No access to Fry's currently but would be in the vicinity come thanksgiving, which happens to be my deadline for finishing up the build.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'd like to use an AMD cpu with a mobo that has good onboard graphics with the option of adding GPU down the line.
Current preference - Athlon II X4 620 with ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Second choice - Phenom II X2, X3 or anything else in the 100 price range. could be swayed by a better combo deal.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, but highly unlikely

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a quiet pc. I would also like to use a microatx case that affords decent portability - no handles reqd though. I would prefer that the case and the psu would allow for me to add a gpu down the road if and when I feel like it. It will be a nice bonus if I have a multi-card reader, but not necessary.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

PS: I have FSP GROUP|ATX350-PA PSU - Can I use this for my new build or should I go for a newer PSU?

More about : amd build upgrade

October 29, 2009 7:57:50 PM

350W Power Supply should be okay if you'll be using a low-end or mid-range video card (something within $100 or so).
High-end graphics usually requires more power (video editing is not affected by that).

Your goal is pretty simple so I would try to put at least 2GB of RAM (or more if you have some spare money). The rest seems to be fine.
Related resources
October 31, 2009 6:31:35 AM

Go with the Athlon II X4, you really don't need the L3 cache. The extra core will help with the video editing.
November 3, 2009 9:51:45 PM

Unfortunately, no microcenters nearby.
!