Xfx radeon 5770 vertical lines problems

xxricxx

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Hello, I just got xfx radeon hd 5770 yesterday and I installed it and everything works fine. Today I was on the youtube watching vid and I put it to full screen. After a couple of minutes my monitor did a wierd thing that had tan/brownish vertical lines, I couldn't click anywhere so I restarted my comp and everything seems fine now.

I was wondering if that was a sign of something bad or anything. I also did update all the drives for the gpu when I 1st installed it.

my comp specs are:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

motherboard: Intel® Desktop Board DG33FB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

Also it has not happen when I'm playing a game.

garyc

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I'm having the same problems with my xfx5770. Looked around the web (google problems with HD 5770) and many people are having the same exact issues and not just with the XFX's. would be nice if ATI had some better drivers sooner than later. I don't know how anybody tested these cards with the available driver. in my valve games it works fine but then on 2D mode i get the lines, pixles and rebooting all the time. i'm on Vista 32bit but W7 seems no better. Very disappointing.
Gary

xxricxx

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Ok, an update to my situation. I went the XFX support technician and told them about my problem and they gave meh a link to a driver download, even though I was sure that I downloaded the right driver in the first place. I installed it anyways and the good thing is that the you-tube full-screen crash has had not happen (I will say if it does again) but, When I was playing BF2 I minimized the screen on the main menu and went to do stuff while the game was still running. When I came back I maximized it back and I click once and the same thing happen like the youtube thing. I told XFX support technician about that as well and they gave me a link to a driver sweeper and now I am about to do that. Hopefully it works.

Here is the link to the driver that they gave me http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATIRadeonHD5800seriesrecommendedgraphicsdriver.aspx

p.s That sucks for you GaryC I get annoyed if it happens once or twice, but all the time I would be like :fou:
Also its never during a game. Wish they took there time and make sure the the driver was working well.

garyc

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009

thanks for the info, i'll wait a couple days to see if CCC 9.11 comes out and then try it again.. it seems to happen in waves it will be good for hours doing anything i want games, 2D stuff, and whatnot, then it will do lines and checkers for no reason just looking at the desktop. I did just set the fan speed to 45% on the overdrive settings, fingers crossed, i am not running it over-clocked at all, i just want stability for now. I can play half-life2 E2 and Portal all day no problem on the highest settings.. and then it freaks out doing easy stuff.. it is running cool 35-45deg ish, but i'm wondering if it's something with the power throttling down when idle?

vasboz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009

I'm experiencing the same thing within Windows 7 with a Sapphire HD5770...

Just built my new system with a Phenom II 965BE 125W, MA770T-UD3P Mobo, Sapphire 1GB 5770, 2-TB RAID 0, 8GB DDR1333...

I see it also when full screen if i'm watching a tv episode or something on vlc... full screened its bombing out with tan/grey/white-ish vertical lines... sound sometimes gets stuck in loop or it continues the audio component ... just can't see anything other than the vertical lines on the screen.

Hopefully they'll get this resolved asap.

hunter89

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hello guys i have a XFX ATI RADEON HD 5770 graphic card on windows 7 and i have the same problem with those lines appearing when i watch videos(most times on full screen and also when i watch a mkv video file),also some times the mouse's size on the screen become too big,but as you said guys it never happens while i am playing a game.What is going on,is it a problem between windows 7 and the graphic card driver?Dose anyone knows if there is an update or something?

P.S:A friend of mine use Sapphire HD 5850 on windows 7 dealing the same problem....

xxricxx

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
ok another update. Im pretty sure its a driver issue. Im an impatient person so I do not want to wait for mature drivers so I returned it and got EVGA Geforce GTX 275 and I love it! lol

Well I did like the 5770 but ehh ATI should of made some better drivers. I got the GPU like two or three weeks ago so there could of been new driver updates, just check the XFX or ATI websites.

Tell me how it goes, I would like to know when they fix this problem :)

avenger386

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
i haven't seen any lines, but the day after I installed the xfx 5770 i woke up from sleep mode and everything was pixilated...

had to do a reboot to fix the problem and haven't see it since (got it like 3 days ago).

I'm going to blame it on drivers... if it ends up being hardware then we've got warranty so no probs....

preferrable this thing gets bad in 1-2 years and XFX can upgrade me to a refreshed 5700/5800 line (here's to hoping)

madduru

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I hope you would have solved your issue by now. Otherwise you can resolve it by downloading the latest drivers:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

I was in the same boat with a locked up display whenever I play youtube videos in fullscreen mode. The only way I could do was to power/re-boot the system.

My m/c specs are: Windows 7 64 bit/XFX 5770 on i7-860/Gigabyte UD4P.

When I downloaded latest drivers from ATI, it seems to fix you tube-full screen-crash problem.

madduru

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
The simple fix to YouTube fullscreen crash issue is to "Disable Hardware Acceleration" on the Adobe flash player. You can do this by right clicking on flash video, select settings, and then "uncheck" hardware acceleration option. That should solve Flash fullscreen crash issue. I struggled to find a resolution through drivers etc., but none of them worked until I came across this quick fix.

KrazyYTE

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

I have the same card as you, 550w PSU, quadcore 2.5GHz CPU, 6 GB DDR3 RAM, and I have lots of crashes (black screen or vertical lines of color, switches each time). I can sometimes get a few hours of gaming in, that is when I clock the engine to 700 or 725MHz and VRAM to 1050 or 1100 MHz. Then after I have played and watch a movie or just let computer idle, even when I restore default speeds 150 engin and 300 VRAM. I also tried setting refresh rate to 70MHz I am downloading a driver someone linked as I am typing this. Purchasing this card has been a pain, I have seen some people with like 850w PSU still have problems.

garyc

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
yep, i'm still having the problem.. even after changing the idle clocks to 300 and 600Mhz.. i might try a higher still setting but i doubt this will help, working perfectly in all games.. but just sitting in windows vista i get green dots (less often now) but after a while of idle sitting it will go a light grey color screen and be totally locked up needing a hard boot :( I know "don't let it sit" hard to do with my wife and kids using the pc all day...
here is the thread where setting the idel clocks are discussed
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=285478&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

so a few isolated instances and you spew this fanboy garbage, especially since most people don't post a thread saying "hey the card works fine", only when there are issues. It happens with NV too, they also have hardware flaws and partly poor drivers (drivers that kill cards with bad fan profiles)