Sign in with
Your question

Installing RAM

Last response: in Memory
April 26, 2010 3:29:49 PM

Well my computer is facing a lot of CRC errors.
So after researchs and tests it has come to my attention that something is wrong with the RAM.
Now two things are infront of me, Either My RAM is damaged, or my RAM slot is damaged.

I currently have two RAM sticks 2GB each,
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_p...

I want to move RAM into different RAM Slots, I have a Gigabyte P55m UD2 Motherboard, My RAM is installed in slots 2 and 4.

Will moving them cause some sort of damage?
What slots should I move them into? 1,2? 1,3? Because I am not sure about that.

Thanks.

More about : installing ram

April 26, 2010 6:55:21 PM

No, moving them should not cause damage as long as you do it properly. Typically, RAM is first installed in slots 1 and 3 (for dual channel boards like yours). I have not heard of putting them in slots 2 and 4 first, but it may work fine. There could be something wrong with the RAM if moving them does not work.
April 26, 2010 7:20:55 PM

I have warranty for my RAM so if that won't work.. guess have to change it.
Related resources
April 27, 2010 7:05:14 PM

Well Its seems like one of my RAM sticks are bad, could it also be that one of the slots are bad? Is it safe to put one RAM slot on 1 and one on Slot 2, Because the pair is 1,3 and 2,4
April 27, 2010 7:19:22 PM

As far as I know, you have to install it in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. I'm not sure if it would damage anything to try, but I wouldn't want to take the risk. Does anyone else have experience/advice with this?
a b } Memory
April 27, 2010 11:40:00 PM

Let's be more specific about which slots the RAM goes in. For most P55 boards - maybe all and definitely yours - the RAM goes in the slots that are "named" 1 & 3, technically DDR3_1 and DDR3_3. BUT just to keep things confusing they are actualy the 2nd and 4th physical slots from the CPU. So you guys may or may not be talking about the same thing. If everything is working well with the RAM and the motherboard, the RAM should go in the 2nd and 4th physical slots from the CPU.

OP, what BIOS version do you have installed? Did you make any chagnes to the RAM settings in BIOS?

Have you run memtest86+ on your sticks? If so, what were the results? If not, download here: http://www.memtest.org/ Make a bootable CD, then run over night with both sticks in physical slots 2 & 4. If you get errors, run with one stick in 2, then put the other stick in 2. If slot 2 gives you problems, try slot 4.
April 28, 2010 12:35:35 AM

So would it damage the board to put only one stick of RAM in a dual channel or triple channel board? How about putting them in slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 3 or 2 and 4?
a b } Memory
April 28, 2010 12:41:13 AM

It won't damage the board. If you mix and match the slots like you asked about, there's a chance it just flat out won't boot. One good way to find out though...
a b } Memory
April 28, 2010 1:11:14 AM

What slots to use and in what pairings is well described in the MoBo manual. I'd d/l and point to the page but connection s very slow atm.
!