Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Generic case fans

Last response: in Overclocking
March 2, 2012 10:59:00 AM

Hello,

My computer's case is a Thermaltake Soprano. It's got two 12cm fans. They are about 3 years old and very noisy, and cleaning/oiling them only fixes the problem for a few weeks. So I need new fans. Is it OK to buy generic ones that cost $2.5 on eBay, or should I go for the Scythe Kama 2 ($10) and similar?

I don't need very efficient cooling, just something as good as the ones that come with my case. I do not overclock anything, and I'm good with the current temps.

Thanks in advance.

More about : generic case fans

a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2012 1:02:43 PM

The Scythes are great choices for quiet fans. I use them often.
m
l

Best solution

March 2, 2012 1:14:16 PM

It's okay to go ahead and buy those generic ones but there's no promise on how long they'll last. They also may not have a warranty, but at that price who needs one?
Related resources
March 2, 2012 2:15:51 PM

Yeah, who needs warranty, even for $10 items. Also, shipping could take 2 or 3 weeks, so I'll order some 4 generic fans and have two of them as extras.
m
l
March 2, 2012 2:38:59 PM

you can get packs of 4 on newegg for $10-$12 which will get three day shipping and might come with a warrantee... more importantly, even if they don't, complaining to newegg's Customer Service still results in a return or replacement 90% of the time.
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:20:24 PM

I can't order from Newegg, I live in Israel. I'm limited to internationally-shipping eBay sellers.
m
l
March 9, 2012 9:10:57 AM

Best answer selected by yonyz.
m
l
!