Cant get past 3.6 Ghz on an AMD Phenom ii 1100t??? please help

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hi
Sometime back I built a new Gaming rig it's a:
Phenom ii x6 1100t 3300 Mhz CPU
Asus M5A78L MOBO Socket AM3 +
1 Stick of ??? 4GB 1333MHZ DDR3 (Can Find out Makes & model No's if needed)
2 Sticks of Patriot 1 GB 1333MHZ DDR3
EVO LABS 7700W PSU
Radeon HD 6770 GPU
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Since buying it I have been trying to overclock to 4 Ghz but have only managed 3.6 Ghz by turning up the multiplyer when I adjust the CPU overvoltage to try and get 3.7 or 3.8 to boot it just wont my CPU overvoltage says it goes up in 0.003000 mhx increments and from auto goes to 1.02750 round about and this confuses me Co's I don't knoiw how to deduce how much Voltage these increments achieve without the system booting it's impossible to tell. I read that this CPU should get to 4.0 Ghz easy but I have been trying for months without getting past 3.6. I would like to get to 4.0 and I think my Temps are good round 24 - 32 Degrees C Idle and 50 Degrees max playing Battlefield 3 for hours. I have cranked the CPU overvoltage up to around 1.25455 kind of figures approximate and still won't boot (Not sure If this is adviseable or not) but the text turns yellow up by 1.4000 - 1.5000 now this cant be voltage co's the CPU overvoltages first increment is 1.02750 ish and stock voltage is 1.325V so that just confuses me. If anyone can advise me in simple as possible terms what I am doing wrong and hopefully explain my CPU overvoltage and what these settings mean in terms of Voltage. Also perhaps why it won't boot even when I just change the CPU overvlotage from auto to the first setting.. Only way I can get 3.6 Ghz is by leaving the CPU overvoltage on auto and putting the CPU multiplyer up to 3600 Mhz around 17x -18x but if I go to 3.7 Ghz and leave overvoltage on auto it won't boot If I adjust the overvoltage it wont even Bios straight away until a number of hard resets (Holding down the power button to restart it) but at 3.6 Ghz it seems fine and doesnt crash in game or anything but haven't run prime or anything as it's such a small OC.

Would really like to get up near the 4.0Ghz mark like everyone else seems to do easily enough
Any Help will be well appreciated
Thanks
Lee

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Just for the sake of removing a variable, try using the single 4g stick of RAM.

I would do that and go back to default settings in the BIOS. Then start moving your CPU multiplier withaout messing with any voltages. (Just leave it in "auto")

See how far you can get with that. Then maybe start bumping voltage.

Lots of things wrong here. I would HIGHLY suggest you read some more about overclocking. As you said stock voltage is 1.325V so that is where you should start with it set. 1.25455V is LOWER than 1.325V so its not going to work for overclocking. You need to INCREASE it. When you take it off auto and set it to the lowest value you aren't giving it enough voltage so it cannot boot.

Start with it at 1.325, raise the multiplier up one level, and boot. If you can boot use your computer as usual you can continue, if it is unstable or crashes go back and raise the voltage a notch or two. Repeat this until its stable and you reach your goal. Once you think its stable at the speed you want run prime95 and watch your temperatures. If they approach 60 degrees C your cooling is not good enough and you will have to reduce the voltage and multiplier. If it crashes or prime 95 has errors you will need to raise the voltage until its stable. Do not go past 1.4V. Just because other people get to 4GHz doesn't mean yours will either.

Now for your other problems... Why do you want to overclock? you don't need to with a 6770 and its not going to do you much good unless you need the extra CPU power for something. It can also be dangerous and you don't seem to know what you are doing. Also the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO is not a very good heatsink and it mounts facing the wrong way on AMD boards so you may have cooling problems. also your memory should ideally be matched pairs or it will not run in dual data rate mode

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Okay will give it a go I have to transfer all my parts into a new case today or tommorow so that will be a good time to try will let you know how I get on and thanks for your reply

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I didn't know how to build a PC but I still did!
But that part where you said 1.25455 V is lower than 1.325 volts I do know that but my confusion stemmed from it not saying that it was voltage but overvoltage and it starts with a figure which is 1.025455 approximately so are you saying that is way way below even 1.25455 volts? this is where it confused me by having the 0 after the decimal point. I obviously know undervolting it wont work but wasn't sure if I was or if those figures were all overvoltage as the CPU Overvoltage name would lead me to believe. That freezer 7 pro is mounted strange and that explains why but will be looking to get a better one It was only £30 .

I have bought a new case I am picking up today so will be transfering all the parts to the new case later which has extra fans so will hopeully improve cooling however the freezer 7 pro does run quiet and a little cooler. Are you saying it's not worth the trouble overclocking my rig?
I have it running at 3.6 ghz as we speak with all except the multiplyer set to auto but when i go 3.7 it will crash so might make use of your advise and start at 1.325 on the overvoltage

but I would have tried that beforehand but wasn't sure it was safe to do so with the confusing 0 after the decimal point .I didn't think it would go that low under my stock voltage If at all.
My memory still stated it was dual channel in speccy so thought that was okay. So don't you think there is anything for me to gain in going from the stock 3.3 Ghz to 4.0 Ghz or 4.2 Ghz?? & you are right I don't entirely know what I am doing but have reasearched my TJ max and the what voltages are safe and I know not to go over 1.4 volts to be on the safe side
And also know to keep my coretemps below 60 degrees c pfeferably 55 so I ain't just blindly trying stuff mate I ain't dumb. And think I do sort of know what I'm doing but am learning as I go
PLUS
I haven't Blown it up yet lol

Update
I have put all my parts in the new case and temps seem better so might try again but would like to know why you asked why I need to overclock. I wanted to overclock to maybe get better frames per second or smoother running games but That processor pretty much does anything I need with the 6 cores and doesn't bust a sweat.
So I have wondered why I need to myself would you suggest leaving it then?
Plus I thought that the CPU overvoltage was actual voltage but wasn't sure if it wasn't just small increases up from stock voltage so that's why I asked Co's didn't want to set it all the way up to 1.32000 which if you are right would be 1.32 volts ie stock voltage just in case It wasn't So I sort of do know what I'm doing but aren't sure hence coming on here to be safe and check with others
Please reply
and tell me if it really isn't worth overclocking and why,

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
That psu is your problem, i had the exact same psu and i had 2x 9800GTX SLi with a phenom II x4 955 @ 4.0ghz.
The psu blew...
I would suggest you buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
Okay but why is a 650 Watt PSU Better than my 700 Watt PSU? I just bought that PSU because it was 700 Watts and needed more than 550 Watts to run this rig (Even though 550 Watts did) but that was with lots of unstable power supply messages on boot up. But the EVO Labs 700 watt has been fine but how will going back to a 650 Watt help?? Don't say I just bought a dodgy one... However you was running 2 GPU's & I'm not, so maybe that's why yours blew???
Nice PSU tho How much would that be in pounds? currency convert............ $89 is £57 is it worth that to drop 50 Watts
Plus mine doesn't blow and I don't have any power related issues as far as I know & mine will run at 4 ghz with AMD overdrive (haven't run it for long though, but I don't like AMD Overdrive)but I just can't get it to OC in the BIOS so Don't think it could be that but you may be right??

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Your psu is not 700watts don't be fooled, this is why i have superior knowledge understanding a psu.
I will explain:
A decent 700 watt psu can handle 2x 9800GTX in SLi easily.

Evo labs psu has 44 amps across 2 rails.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silent-700W-ATX-20-24-Pin-PC-Power-Supply-Unit-700-WATT-PSU-SATA-120mm-Fan-/260958033004?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D260958024015%26ps%3D54
TX650 has 52amps across 1 rail...

If you understand what i am talking about, you will know which is far superior.
OK no need to get funny you could try and explain instead of basically being all big headed lol I was asking you why a 650 watt PSU is better than a 700 watt co's that's what it said on the box and what the man said in the shop.Also I don't know what that information you gave means I'm not an electrician.But you still didn't say how many watts my PSU is, So how many watts is my PSU?
Also I said you may be right so quit all the superior knowledge BS
Also if It will run at 4.0 Ghz in amd overdrive then how can it be a power faliure?
Also I now see it has 22 amps per 12 volt rail but I don't even know what a Rail is other than a thing you hang clothes on or grind on a scateboard, But would think that 2 is better than one but as yours is 52 amps on one I suppose it would be better but how much better and does it warrant a new PSU when I have all but given up on OC'ing over the 3.6 Ghz I currently have stable as it seems like a lot of trouble for little gain.And my CPU p****s through anything anyway without hardly ever reaching 50% CPU usage so I now think my GPU is the most important thing I need to upgrade

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Thought I'd come back and say thanks
I just got my phenom ii 1100t to 3.7 Ghz after you told me that I should bump the overvoltage up to 1.32500 up from the first setting of 1.02500 quite a jump up which was why I thought it couldn't be right but now after going up two more settings after that I can boot windows and run Mass effect 3.
My temps aren't bad but probably daren't run prime but will invest in a better cooler soon so should now be able to get to 4.0 Ghz.

Whether I get any gaming performance increase is yet to be seen but I thank you for pointing me in the right direction which I had thought of myself but thought it was wrong co's seemed like a lot of undervoltage so thought it was fractions of overvoltage all the way up if that makes sense...

What would you suggest to keep my temps at for 24/7 use and could you suggest a good/Cheap cooler (if those two things can go together) otherwise the best cooler for around the £30 - £35 mark as I am unemployed

Would appreciate your feedback
And do I need to be stable in prime are there any less violent programs I could use co's talk about a torture test all six cores maxed out for that long can't be good surely lol

Really late reply but it popped up for some reason. I understand what your saying with the voltage, since it said overvoltage you thought (i think) it was adding to the base voltage, but thats not how the voltages work. They also support a very wide range of voltages, and some people even underclock and undervolt for various reasons. So when you take it off auto it starts at the lowest voltage the regulator/BIOS allow which is usually MUCH lower than the stock voltage.

I hear the cooler master hyper 212 is good and cheap, and should mount the right way, but there are cooler comparisons on Tom's as well. I have never used one, and if you aren't having temp issues i wouldn't worry about it. As for prime95 it should be perfectly safe, i have used it many times with my pheonom II and the computer just crashes if it overheats, and it doesn't at all with a safe overclock and good air cooling. You don't have to run prime95, and it may crash in prime95 and not in games because games don't max it out. I prefer to know its actually stable, not just getting by though.

As for if overclocking and spending money are worth it for you, I doubt it. You have a low end video card and it is probably the limiting factor in gaming performance, not the CPU. This was my original point. If performance is going up in games when you boost the clock then ok, but i doubt you have very many games that are CPU limited with that GPU.

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

No your right about all what you said the CPU never gets very high usage in games and even the latest games only use 50% -60% max if anywhere near that but I still thought overclocking might give smoother frame rates. I am adding to the machine on a fortnightly basis and the Video card is high on my list of things to get. I have just added an extra 4 gig stick of Ram a new mars gaming case and a some cool led's just recently. next week I'm getting a 500 gig external HDD and then I will be in line for a new GPU :) but as it runs all games at high settings as it is I haven't minded waiting on the GPU. the HD6770 is a good GPU with that processor and like I said runs all my games on high but I know it could be smoother fps so am gonna save for a 6870 or a 6950 maybe even as low as a 6850.
But don't know if it would be worth upgradeing to the 6850? may even look into a 7xxx series if I could afford but as I am off work with health issues money is tight.
But am getting there and think I have done a great job for the £600 it has so far cost to build co's to buy a similar machine even now costs at least that with a lower end GPU and I've had it for maybe 5 - 6 months!!
Actually just did a search for that exact specs machine is just under a grand so still saved loads now :) It's an awesome machine compared to my previous dual core 5570 setup and I will never go back to a game console I doubt..

So what temps should i worry about co's I did have it running at 3.8 Ghz but when I ran prime it flew up past 58 c and i turned it off co's heard 62 c is the safe limit? since seeing that I have gone back to stock. is it normal for it to go that high? co's mine reaches 54c 55c after gaming for an hour everytime and thats on stock! is this normal and what temps would you be worried about seeing in prime?
thanks for your help and advice as well and will be checking my emails for your reply
thanks
ps Why does near on every other owner of phenom ii's you see in forums and xfire etc all have theirs overclocked to like 4.0-4.5 Ghz if there isn't any performance boost or is it co's they got higher end video cards? I'd have thought having a lower end card would be more reason to get every extra mhz of power you can? let me know what you think about that and also don't forget to tell me what are reasonable temps before I should start getting worried and close down prime manually..

TRENDING THREADS