Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my motherboard bad?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 2, 2012 12:54:57 PM

I had a stable overclock that would pass 15 intel burn tests at max. Now here we are a week later and I'm getting random bsods. So I run the burn test again, and on max I can't even pass it once.

I first think it's my fsb speed so I turn it down from 237mhz to 200mhz. I still can't pass the test once.

So then I was thinking it might be my ram altogether so I run memtest and it passes once. I didn't have the patience to run it longer so I tired just booting with one stick and running the burn test at 237mhz. Annnd... of course I fail with both sticks individuality.

Now I'm starting to think this has to be a motherboard issue. What do you guys think?

Specs:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
AMD Phenom II x6 1600t OC'ed @ 3.91 Ghz + 1.47vcore max
CM Hyper 212+ EVO Cooler
MSI 890GXM-G65 Motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 6870 2GB
8GB Dual Channel Kingston DDR3 @ 790 Mhz + 1.651v
750w Antec High Current Gamer PSU

More about : motherboard bad

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2012 1:57:00 PM

Whats your temps on the board and CPU? When you ran the tests how hot did it get?
m
l
March 2, 2012 2:06:48 PM

Let me see what I get running the "very high" test. I haven't checked my temps since I installed my gpu but I wasn't going over 42c then.

Thanks for your interest in helping! :) 

It's a real bummer having a new PC that you invest money into not working properly. :\
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2012 2:08:03 PM

PSU voltages ok?
Reinstall windows?
Run with just one stick of ram(you said 2?)
I'm assuming that you already checked all these hehe.

If you did, then it seems that your assumptions are correct.
m
l
March 2, 2012 2:08:47 PM

Oh, and currently the burn test on max is an instant fail. This is really confusing me because I don't understand how you go from 15 passes to nothing!
m
l
March 2, 2012 2:12:07 PM

Yes, I've tried running with one stick but I haven't tried re installing windows yet. I have already installed quite a few games and really don't want to go through re-installs again.

I guess I could back up the game's directories but I'm afraid stuff will break still.

EDIT: I can't directly check the PSU voltages because I don't have a multimeter sadly.
m
l
March 2, 2012 2:38:13 PM

Okay, I did two runs with just "very high" on the intel burn test and got 42c for my cpu socket, and 36c for the only motherboard reading.

Then I did two runs with "very high" on the burn test while running furmark at xtreme settings and I got 45c for the cpu, and 40c for the motherboard.

Are these okay temps?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2012 2:39:54 PM

It looks as though you might have cooked the board...Really I don't see the PSU going down(cooking) due to running 15 passes of IBT. The board on the other hand, maybe !? The memory is a more likely candidate.....run memtest86.. BTW..Why did you OC the FSB instead of just using the multiplier ??? Your really up on the memory voltage, too !! VOLTAGE KILLS !!!
m
l
March 2, 2012 2:47:06 PM

How many passes do you recommend me doing? I already passed one.. hehe

Well my ram is rated at 1600mhz so I figured why not squeeze the extra performance out of it? Should I have not of done this? I did use the multiplier as well, it's at 16.5x.

I've gotten the irql bsod at startup, and while running games. I figured that was memory related? But I've also gotten some others I can't recall right now unfortunately.

EDIT: The ram is the hyper-x rated at 1600mhz & 1.65 volts
m
l
March 2, 2012 2:56:48 PM

If the problem is the motherboard I won't be "that" upset because I was considering getting another board anyways.

I want a board that can do tri-fire at least at (8x,8x,8x), that has usb 3.0 & a usb 3.0 20-pin header, has an optical out, and that is a champ at overclocking. I'm tired of dealing with this sketchy mATX board.

Any recommendations?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2012 3:01:07 PM

Multiplier should have been x20 then just set the RAM in BIOS to 1600 MHz and viola it would be a more solid OC...Well I did see 1.651v for the RAM and some boards tend to bounce the voltage around, sometimes, up--sometimes, down...If the board was pushing voltage up under load then that could cause for a bad situation to arise. BTW what is you NB clockspeeds and voltages? What is the CRB set at in BIOS?
March 2, 2012 3:17:39 PM

I couldn't find a direct ram speed setting! :/ 

My NB is at the standard 10x, and the CPU NB VDD is at auto. I tried overclocking that but it would never post consistently so I left it as is.
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:21:23 PM

Thanks for those recommendations!

Is there enough room in a mid-tower case (rosewill challenger), to have a dual slot card on the end of the Sabertooth?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2012 3:25:46 PM

Make sure to understand that the FSB is the volume control for the entire system... it OCs all components at once.

The Challenger will work
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:54:59 PM

Strange some how I got confused and started posting in joobe's thread..
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2012 4:00:24 PM

Oh damn thought I was just going crazy
m
l
March 2, 2012 4:02:35 PM

So, do you think I should run memtest overnight to rule out my ram?
m
l
March 2, 2012 4:05:55 PM

Haha yeah I thought I was going crazy too!

I should probably get some sleep. I've been up all night working on this... I'm one of those people who throws everything aside until everything is running perfect with his pc.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2012 4:28:56 PM

Yeah run memtest while you sleep
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2012 7:49:36 PM

cheap_gamer4life said:
I had a stable overclock that would pass 15 intel burn tests at max. Now here we are a week later and I'm getting random bsods. So I run the burn test again, and on max I can't even pass it once.

I first think it's my fsb speed so I turn it down from 237mhz to 200mhz. I still can't pass the test once.

So then I was thinking it might be my ram altogether so I run memtest and it passes once. I didn't have the patience to run it longer so I tired just booting with one stick and running the burn test at 237mhz. Annnd... of course I fail with both sticks individuality.

Now I'm starting to think this has to be a motherboard issue. What do you guys think?

Specs:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
AMD Phenom II x6 1600t OC'ed @ 3.91 Ghz + 1.47vcore max
CM Hyper 212+ EVO Cooler
MSI 890GXM-G65 Motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 6870 2GB
8GB Dual Channel Kingston DDR3 @ 790 Mhz + 1.651v
750w Antec High Current Gamer PSU

I read an article that running Intel Burn Test for many times is dangerous and might fry the CPU so I guess that is why the cpu does not pass again the test. Try running Prime95 for about a minimum of 2 hrs. if the system crash, then there is really a problem with it. 1.47 V vcore is somewhat high, you are frying the CPU with that voltage.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2012 11:41:26 PM

@aqe040466---> I have a 965 BE C3 running 1.55v @ 4.3GHz... folding@home 24/7...for 14 months straight so far...Just what are you talking about
m
l
March 3, 2012 10:42:16 AM

Well yeah I think I disagree with ape, but I set my NB freq back to 2000, and lowered my clock down to 3600mhz and I still can't run the max IBT. I haven't had time to run memtest for a long time yet though.
m
l
March 3, 2012 11:00:10 AM

I was able to get that same clock speed at nearly that same voltage with my 960t! But I was afraid of pushing this motherboard too far, and decreasing the longevity of my chip. But seeing what lowjack has accomplished I think I just might have to push my chip further when I get another motherboard!
m
l
March 3, 2012 12:09:08 PM

Okay I just got another BSOD while playing Sims 3 for about a half an hour. I got the Service_System_Exception 0x03B screen. Does this give us anymore information?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 3:40:55 PM

Looks memory related.....Run that memtest...check it out
m
l
March 3, 2012 8:11:27 PM

Is it common for both sticks to fail at the same time, because I tried both sticks individually?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 8:19:54 PM

I wouldn't say common but not unheard of
m
l
March 5, 2012 1:27:56 AM

Okay I passed Memtest 8 times with no errors!

I guess this has to be my motherboard, but I forgot to mention that sometimes on boot when I'm cold I get an IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD.
m
l
March 6, 2012 10:43:20 AM

Okay good news guys! I installed some windows updates and then rebooted my computer. Strangely, this time my computer wouldn't even post! It just started up and made a clicking sound, so I removed a single stick of ram and tried to boot up my machine again!

Bam, it restarted and now I filed a RMA for my RAM.

Let this be a lesson. Memtest is not the holy grail of memory testing, and my bad ram was able to pass the test 8 times.

With my new RAM I'm going to be careful with the voltage, and I'll set it as low as it can possibly go at 1600mhz.

I'll let you guys know how my new RAM works when it arrives. Thanks for your help!

m
l
March 6, 2012 12:31:00 PM

I've been thinking, and I guess possibly the ram slot could be bad on my MB, but we will see how this RMA goes I guess.
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:26:05 PM

Okay I actually bought a 4GB ram kit to see if it was the RAM causing the BSOD, and it isn't!

That's okay though because I just ordered a new board because I needed Dolby Digital Home Theater. It's the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3. I've heard good things about it, did I make a good choice?
m
l
March 18, 2012 6:43:23 PM

Alright well I got the new motherboard installed and guess what!? I still can't run the max test without automatically failing it, and this is with everything at "auto" settings.

I'm kind of at a dead end here, any suggestions?
m
l
March 19, 2012 7:01:32 AM

Great news, I figured out the problem! It turns out IBT was using too much ram, and that my overclock was just unstable. I fixed the problem by just running a custom test and putting 200mb of ram below what was available.

I ended up passing 20 runs with 96% ram usage! But remember I have an additional 2x2gb of hyper-x ram, totaling to 12gb, and my new motherboard, the ga-990xa-ud3.

Here is my 20 test stable overclock:

LLC setting: Medium

Phenom II X6 1600t @ 4.127Ghz @ 1.45vcore + CPU NB @ 3.02Ghz @ 1.37v
12gb Kingston Hyper-x RAM @ 805Mhz @ 1.65v

Thanks for your help guys! I'm quite happy with my final result!
m
l
March 19, 2012 7:08:54 AM

Best answer selected by cheap_gamer4life.
m
l
!