cheap_gamer4life

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I had a stable overclock that would pass 15 intel burn tests at max. Now here we are a week later and I'm getting random bsods. So I run the burn test again, and on max I can't even pass it once.

I first think it's my fsb speed so I turn it down from 237mhz to 200mhz. I still can't pass the test once.

So then I was thinking it might be my ram altogether so I run memtest and it passes once. I didn't have the patience to run it longer so I tired just booting with one stick and running the burn test at 237mhz. Annnd... of course I fail with both sticks individuality.

Now I'm starting to think this has to be a motherboard issue. What do you guys think?

Specs:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
AMD Phenom II x6 1600t OC'ed @ 3.91 Ghz + 1.47vcore max
CM Hyper 212+ EVO Cooler
MSI 890GXM-G65 Motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 6870 2GB
8GB Dual Channel Kingston DDR3 @ 790 Mhz + 1.651v
750w Antec High Current Gamer PSU

Solution
Multiplier should have been x20 then just set the RAM in BIOS to 1600 MHz and viola it would be a more solid OC...Well I did see 1.651v for the RAM and some boards tend to bounce the voltage around, sometimes, up--sometimes, down...If the board was pushing voltage up under load then that could cause for a bad situation to arise. BTW what is you NB clockspeeds and voltages? What is the CRB set at in BIOS?

cheap_gamer4life

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Let me see what I get running the "very high" test. I haven't checked my temps since I installed my gpu but I wasn't going over 42c then.

Thanks for your interest in helping! :)

It's a real bummer having a new PC that you invest money into not working properly. :\

cheap_gamer4life

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Yes, I've tried running with one stick but I haven't tried re installing windows yet. I have already installed quite a few games and really don't want to go through re-installs again.

I guess I could back up the game's directories but I'm afraid stuff will break still.

EDIT: I can't directly check the PSU voltages because I don't have a multimeter sadly.

cheap_gamer4life

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Okay, I did two runs with just "very high" on the intel burn test and got 42c for my cpu socket, and 36c for the only motherboard reading.

Then I did two runs with "very high" on the burn test while running furmark at xtreme settings and I got 45c for the cpu, and 40c for the motherboard.

Are these okay temps?

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
It looks as though you might have cooked the board...Really I don't see the PSU going down(cooking) due to running 15 passes of IBT. The board on the other hand, maybe !? The memory is a more likely candidate.....run memtest86.. BTW..Why did you OC the FSB instead of just using the multiplier ??? Your really up on the memory voltage, too !! VOLTAGE KILLS !!!

cheap_gamer4life

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
How many passes do you recommend me doing? I already passed one.. hehe

Well my ram is rated at 1600mhz so I figured why not squeeze the extra performance out of it? Should I have not of done this? I did use the multiplier as well, it's at 16.5x.

I've gotten the irql bsod at startup, and while running games. I figured that was memory related? But I've also gotten some others I can't recall right now unfortunately.

EDIT: The ram is the hyper-x rated at 1600mhz & 1.65 volts

cheap_gamer4life

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
If the problem is the motherboard I won't be "that" upset because I was considering getting another board anyways.

I want a board that can do tri-fire at least at (8x,8x,8x), that has usb 3.0 & a usb 3.0 20-pin header, has an optical out, and that is a champ at overclocking. I'm tired of dealing with this sketchy mATX board.

Any recommendations?

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Multiplier should have been x20 then just set the RAM in BIOS to 1600 MHz and viola it would be a more solid OC...Well I did see 1.651v for the RAM and some boards tend to bounce the voltage around, sometimes, up--sometimes, down...If the board was pushing voltage up under load then that could cause for a bad situation to arise. BTW what is you NB clockspeeds and voltages? What is the CRB set at in BIOS?

Solution

cheap_gamer4life

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Haha yeah I thought I was going crazy too!

I should probably get some sleep. I've been up all night working on this... I'm one of those people who throws everything aside until everything is running perfect with his pc.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I read an article that running Intel Burn Test for many times is dangerous and might fry the CPU so I guess that is why the cpu does not pass again the test. Try running Prime95 for about a minimum of 2 hrs. if the system crash, then there is really a problem with it. 1.47 V vcore is somewhat high, you are frying the CPU with that voltage.

cheap_gamer4life

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I was able to get that same clock speed at nearly that same voltage with my 960t! But I was afraid of pushing this motherboard too far, and decreasing the longevity of my chip. But seeing what lowjack has accomplished I think I just might have to push my chip further when I get another motherboard!