Hawkeye8_2K

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I'm starting to check the raid 1 option for my data
backing up, but from what I understand -
it doesn't give me the option to know when one of the HDD goes bye bye, am I correct or under win 7
when using raid 1 with 2 HDD, when one of them stops working, I'm being informed on it and can replace it with a new one before the one still containing the undamaged data also stops working ?

p.s. my pc has a P5QPLAM motherboard if that has anything to do with my situation,

sincerely

Solution
I'm not an expert on your motherboard but when I looked it up it said it had the ICH7 southbridge which does not by itself support RAID. Some motherboards have "onboard" RAID support but it looks like yours doesn't. Were you planning to use an add-on RAID controller?

To answer your question, yes you will be informed of a HDD failure in a RAID-1 array in Win 7 so that you can replace it. The mechanism for the notification is dependent on your RAID controller and its driver, but mainstream RAID controllers (even "onboard" controllers) have pretty good drivers and notification options.

larkspur

Distinguished
I'm not an expert on your motherboard but when I looked it up it said it had the ICH7 southbridge which does not by itself support RAID. Some motherboards have "onboard" RAID support but it looks like yours doesn't. Were you planning to use an add-on RAID controller?

To answer your question, yes you will be informed of a HDD failure in a RAID-1 array in Win 7 so that you can replace it. The mechanism for the notification is dependent on your RAID controller and its driver, but mainstream RAID controllers (even "onboard" controllers) have pretty good drivers and notification options.

Solution

Hawkeye8_2K

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks a lot larkspur,

To tell the truth - I haven't checked my motherboard's compatibility to a raid 1,
just because I didn't knew whether it has the ability to report of HDD errors or not.

Could anyone send me links to recommended sites that have information on the subject ?

bear with me, I'm not a PC technician in my profession :(