2550k + Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 Can i overclock it with just....

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
Hello!

Can i overclock my pc it with just using the multiplyer uptill 4ghz,

will it fry my PCI-e frequency above 100mhz
do i need to set my ram timings or will this motherboard do it automaticly,
can i use a stock cooler?

Overclocking the multiplyer only OC's the turbo mode , but why is that a bad thing i dont want it running at lotsa juice when idle or in desktop, just when gaming. I kind of like the idea ,

Can i do this using easytune 6 , or rather the bios.

im worried most about my pcie freq and the ram timings and temperature,

i do NOT want to adjust my voltage settings.
i do NOT want to adjust my cores one by one.

Any help giving is very much apreciated. The tutorials are more for the hardcore oc-ers i will be content with 4 ghz at stressed
Once i get my watercooler in 6 months then well talk about voltages and 5 ghz

Ps": the last rig i overclocked in practice is my old amd 64 (harhar) the rest of my knowledge is reading and hearsay

consider me a noob

Thank you!

i dont know about the oc but dont mess with the pcie frequency, it will fry your card
dont use stock cooler to oc
if you dont want to adjust voltages then dont overclock..?

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

If you want to OC buy an aftermarket cpu cooler(air/liquuid) You can overclock the cpu by increasing the cpu ratio multiplier and also invreasing the cpu vcore not more than 1.35V. Let the dram(memory voltage) voltage set to auto. Download and run cpu-z and hw monitor in cpuid.com to monitor entire system and the core temps of the cpu. down load and run wPrime and or prime95 one at a time for about a minimum of 2 hrs, and if the system does not crashed, then your oc'd cpu is somewhat stable. While running the wprime or prime 95 you have to run also cpu-z and hw monitor to monitor the system and the core temps. Temps should not be higher than 75 deg Celsius, higher than 75 deg is dangerous to the CPU and will shorten the life of it. Don't hesitate to buy a CPU cooler because it's a good investment to prolong the life of an O'Cd CPU.

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
You can overclock a 2550k to 4.0GHz easily on a stock cooler.
Use the bios not Easytune and stock voltage.

my temps in windows are now arround 27-30 degrees celcius,

so if i get u straight, i dont need to set my pcie freq to manual? back in the day when adding up the multiplyer it would automaticly do so for your pcie

and i can leave my ram timings as it is on auto ?

and my final question ,

doing so will only overclock my pcu in turbo mode (wich is ok with me)

then i can just do the multiplyer and it will say in windows 3,4 ghz ( 4 ghz) under stress it will go to 4 ghz?

ill do this is ur sure , if ur sure im sure :p

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012

ive read it before , the thing is .

whats wrong with just upping the multiplyer .
i have done that now ,

my multiplyer changes all the time in cpu-z . depends on the cpu usage .

now i put it to 4 ghz , so in My computer is shows

3,4ghz 4ghz (being turbo mode)

i left every other setting in the bios as it was ram voltages everything just the multiplyer .

this seems to work when is tress my cpu it goes beyond 3.8(the normal turbo mode)

this is what i wanted nothing more.

will this result in damagE?
so yes

how ?

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
At this moment right now im playing battlefield 3 , the multiplyer is 40x and its using 4 ghz when i play, when i quit it goes back to 3,4ghz or even lower

i didnt change ANYthing in the bios but the multiplyer do u understand me?

tell me what i did wrong

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012

Ok overclocking my pc made it go all messed up,

there are a few things i do not understand from the tutorial u sent me , first of all.

what is a retail cpu ?. i have a 2550k

Make sure you DISABLE all of the following advanced CPU features (to stabilize multiplier and voltage):
C1E-DISABLE (With some boards like ASUS please keep C1E, EIST, and C3/C6 enabled at the moment, MSI and Intel boards you can turn these things off, but I am guessing Asrock will need it on as well)
EIST-DISABLE
C3, C6 States-DISABLE
CPU Thermal Monitor-DISABLE

Do not touch BLCK right now as it always needs to be lowered as you overclock higher, at stock or low OC (under 4.3 GHz you can increase BLCK no problem). Make sure you make note of Stock VID/Vcore/VCC (found under voltage options). Upon reboot if the system boots into BIOS check the new VID under voltages settings or CPU Vcore (VCC) under health monitoring, take this value and compare it to this:

Stock-4GHz on Stock VID
4.0-4.3GHz 1.300v-1.325v
4.3-4.5GHz 1.325v-1.375v
4.5-4.8GHz 1.375v-1.450v

i cant find these settings eather in my bios

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
This thread is done, i have finally gotten the awnsers i need,

It is not possible to overclock just the multipplyer , the vcore will go along with it and overburn ur cpu thats all i needed to know thank you