Sign in with
Your question

How can i recover files from an external hard drive after it has crashed

Last response: in Windows XP
April 23, 2012 6:28:09 PM

I am a dj and had all my music on my external hard drive, I plugged it in tonight and smoke came out and wont work again...Is it possible to recover my files?
April 23, 2012 6:40:43 PM

nico_41 said:
I am a dj and had all my music on my external hard drive, I plugged it in tonight and smoke came out and wont work again...Is it possible to recover my files?

If the drive was not damaged (wiring shorted EG) - MAYBE !

You can buy and external drive enclosure cheap, (no disk), and put the disk in the new enclosure to see if it works. If it doesn't spin you are dead.
Or hook it up to a PC as secondary drive....
If it spins, but you don't see your music files, try a data recovery app like RECUVA (freeware)
m
l
April 25, 2012 2:18:21 AM

nico_41 said:

The short answer to "can I get my data back" is 99.99% of the time not a matter of yes/no, but how much money you want to spend.

If the above options don't work, or don't work well enough and the data is very valuable, there is always forensic data recovery.

It's not a cheap option (easily several thousand dollars) but if you're faced with losing $50-$100K+ of commercially licensed tracks for your business.... it looks far more attractive. ;) 

m
l
Related resources
!