Best Configuration for 1 SSD + 3 HDDs?

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I've been trying to figure out what the best way to run these would be...

Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Hitachi 2TB

I was thinking that having the OS and applications on the SSD, and then having the two F3's running in RAID 0, with the Hitachi for backing up everything. I'm using the computer primarily for picture/video editing. So I want it fast, but also reliable. Opinions?

Yes, that is what I'd do.
SSD for Operating system and prograrms
The two F3's in raid0, If you do not need the full 2 gigs, then consider short stroking them for added performance boost. Short stroke .- Lose diskspace, Increase performance by limiting disk storage to outer area of platters.
2 TB drive for Back up.

You will see a number of individuals saying not to use raid0 as your probability of a failure doubles. - I've used raid since before sata MBs and never had a Problem.

Raid0 only really inproves Sequencial read/writes. Does nothing for Random 4k read/writes (No effect on access time). This is the reason raid0 does little to improve on an operating system + programs disk. HOWEVER, it does provide a good boost to a data drive when dealing primaily with LARGE video files. A dot vob file is typically 1 Gig. which is 250K clusters in sequencial order.

Added: What I did was skipped the raid0 and bought 2 120 gig SSDs: One for 0S and programs and the second one for a work/scratch disk. The scrach/work disk is so much FASTER than a raid0 for my commonly used files. BUT it adds Dollars!!

I would also put the OS on the SSD , but I would limit the programs to just the couple essential that you use the most and put the rest on the raid. You don't want to load up the SSD , I know it's 120 gb but with updates and such it can fill up rather quickly , espescially if you start out with WIN 7 64 bit.

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Thanks for all the reply's guys. Alright so it should be known, this is my first build so the RAID 0 thing is just something I've read about, not anything I've ever done. Any step by step guides you guys would recommend? I have the P8Z68 VPro MOBO, so hopefully it won't be too difficult.

Side note: What is the best way (software) to backup a system like this? I know sometimes imaging a RAID 0 setup can be a little awkward because of the striping. But I need to have really reliable backups.