Video card experts

Deadz0ne

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
How to find the specific type of graphic card for my computer that is Compaq Presario SR1960AP Media Centre Edition ?

Deadz0ne

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
CPU: Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz , RAM: (2GB 533MHz DDR2-533, PC2-4200, 240p DIMM, 1.8v) ... wat is mobo and psu ??

Swifty, it's because the GF7300LE is there.

It describes it's presence as more than just onboard in the VGA section;

"One (disabled due to the installation of a graphics card)"

As MM mentions he can yank that, and pretty much put an HD4670 or GF9500GT in there without any concern, and probably even an HD4770, GF9600series or even HD5750 if he's lucky.

I would recommend the HD5750 with a good X# days return policy without restocking fee to simply swap out for an HD4670 if power supply proves to be an issue.

*Weird I guess you deleted your question as I was replying, post quote is gone too* Strange :heink:

Deadz0ne

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
So which type of graphic card would u recommend that is 100% compatible with my computer ? -- (asking mousemonkey and TheGreatGrape)

Yeah I'd say the HD4670 (I'm only against the GF9600 because it's so late in the game) unless you don't plan on holding it so far into the future you get a new monitor and potentially improved rest of the system. Shorter term with an upgrade everything strategy you can go with the GF9600GSO for the right now price/performance adv.
I would almost say a more powerful HD4770 or 5750 would be worth it to build a new rig around net year if there's a game you wanna play that we could speak to, but longer term, I would say the extra $60+ for those would be better spent in a year+ time when you could buy a DX11 card when there value is a better known entity and the future beyond DX11 becomes clearer.

Well I could have said the GT240 which is a little fresher than the 9600GSO but that would be akin to advising your friend to buy an Alfa Romeo, and you just wouldn't would you? :lol:

Because if you were running a 24" or 30" at 25 x 16 then you would need a bit more than just a low to mid range graphic card to see decently playable game performance.

Yeah, but the Alphas look nice, should be in a museum and never driven.... hey didn't they do that on some show?
To me it's about forward looking features if he's buying long term, not late to the game timewise alone. But it's not a major issue, essentially a tie-breaker to me, and they are alot closer than they used to be.

That's an older review when the GF9600GSO was a better version, and when the HD4K drivers were young. But they are close which is why I mention longer term the HD4670, shorter term the GF9600GSO may give you some good performance (but really look for the 96 shader model, the other loses out both on performance and features).

http://www.overclock3d.net/news.php?/gpu_displays/new_g94_9600gso_revision/1

The cheap eVGA on new egg is 48 shaders, the XFX is 96 shaders, but for the price of the 96 shader model, might as well get the HD4770 which is leaps and bounds faster and likely with less power consumption as well.