Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking removed?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2012 3:30:33 PM

Hi guys

I am trying to renew my CPU's thermal paste and I was wondering if my CPU will go back to its default speeds if I remove my CPU from the socket? My i7 920 is overclocked from 2.6 to 3.3Ghz

Cheers!

More about : overclocking removed

March 2, 2012 3:52:13 PM

Gate9er said:
Hi guys

I am trying to renew my CPU's thermal paste and I was wondering if my CPU will go back to its default speeds if I remove my CPU from the socket? My i7 920 is overclocked from 2.6 to 3.3Ghz

Cheers!

Well never tested, but normally these settings are saved in bios, and they are resetted when a new cpu is detected or CMOS is resetted, but it would be nice if you could test that xD, but i bet on NO, they'll not go to defaults.

also you don't need to remove the cpu to renew Thermal paste, you only need to remove heatsink.
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2012 3:55:59 PM

ricardois said:
Well never tested, but normally these settings are saved in bios, and they are resetted when a new cpu is detected, but it would be nice if you could test that xD, but i bet on NO, they'll not go to defaults.

also you don't need to remove the cpu to renew Thermal paste, you only need to remove heatsink.

Yeah I know that, but I would prefer doing a better job, by cleaning the whole CPU area before applying the new paste :) 

Cheers anyway! I will give it a try
!