Random screen freezes/crashes after building new PC

jflyer1

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Hello All,

I just built a new computer 2 weeks ago and I'm currently running Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit with 4 gigs of RAM. I have been experiencing 1 problem which is my computer will freeze randomly and it doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing. This has happened 4-5 times now. I get no errors and it doesn't crash. It just freezes exactly where I am. For example if I'm surfing the forums on this site the picture will freeze with me surfing the forums. Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't do anything. I have to turn off the PC by holding the power button. The only difference I notice is there is a little bit of a red tint to the words on the screen when it freezes but other than that nothing.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem? PC running at normal temp 32-34C and other than this 1 problem everything is smooth. Could it be drivers? bad RAM? video card? Curious to hear your opinions. Thanks for your time :)

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I would look at your memory first. Pull all the modules but one. Then if the system stays stable. Switch out that module with another and perform the same testing. If this comes down to a single stick that is flakey you can RMA it.

senormoll

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Yea please post more specifics about your system. It could also be an issue with your power supply not providing enough juice. I think typically a bad memory stick would result in a memory dump and BSOD not just a freeze, but I could be wrong.

jflyer1

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. My apologies - still learning in many ways and this is the first system I built.

Let me let you know at least what components I built it with.

Motherboard: ASUS P5P43TD PRO Intel Socket 775 ATX Desktop

Video Card: MSI N94GT-MD512 GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP

Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

I will check Bios it didn't seem like the traditional physical memory dump though just a freeze it was really strange.

These are the parts I installed running on Win7 ultimate 32-bit

Really appreciate the replies if you want more specific system info let me know and I will comply.

senormoll

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I don't know if I'm looking at the exact same memory you have but the gskill ddr3 1333 that I found online recommends 1.5-1.6v. Check your bios to make sure you're in that range. Your power supply probably isn't the issue. Are you overclocking at all?

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I have used EarthWatts PS before. I have found them to ge good PS. You certainly are not tasking your PS with your configuration.

It is always a safe bet to make sure you have the latest BIOS installed on your motherboard if you don't already have the latest.

I would still check to see if your 2 sticks of G.SKIL are not the problem.

Seems to be a fairly simple build.

If none of this works then it comes down to exchanging each component to find out which one is causing the system instability.

jflyer1

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys. I agree I don't think it's a problem with the power supply. I did go into BIOS and everything was in the suggested ranges for RAM. I'm going to try taking out hardware starting with the G.SKIL RAM first to see if maybe I have a faulty stick.

Will update thread to let you know what I find.

Thanks again.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
As stated it is most likely the ram. Look up the official ram specs(volts&timings) and set them to that. Run Memtest on them as well. Even if it passes it is still probably a ram issue. Some modules and boards just dont get along. If you still get cant it stable take a look on asus site and check for officially supported memory if they have it. If not look for what other users with your board are running. Sometimes its just a crap shoot with ram.

Also make sure you got all the latest winodws 7 drivers for your hw.