ehwall

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
If I'm using an asus 990fx with 2 GTX470's, using slots PCIe 1 and PCIe 3, do I use a 3 slot connector for the water block's I'm installing? From the top it's PCIex16_1 - PCIex1 - PCIex16_2 - PCIex16_3 - PCI1 - PCIex16_4

The size of the connector should be the number of slots between them (in this case, I believe 2).

The simple way to be certain is to get the measurements for the connectors and measure the spacing between the blocks.

A cheaper way to do this is use regular fittings and tubing (what I did).

ehwall

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I'd like to use a hard fitting, like a tube with compression fittings. So a 2 slot fitting due to 2 empty slots? It's not a 3 slot? As I am going from the first slot, to one (technically) three slots away?

The fitting size should be the length it spans between cards, not how far away the cards are. Since it's going over 2 slots (PCI-e x1 and the other x16), it should be a 2 slot connector.

Like I said before, the easy way to confirm this is to measure the approx. length and compare with the dimensions of the connectors. I would recommend this if you're not 100% confident in the one you're looking at purchasing.