Jack The Smith

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Hi I have been experiencing some very weird things when I overclock my AMD FX-8120. The main game I play is League of Legends which is not a graphically demanding game. Usually I can get 190+ frames at 1080p with my AMD 6870 at stock and CPU at stock.

The weird thing however is when I try and overclock my CPU my frames tank :cry: I am currently using AMD overdrive to OC which is probably the last thing I should be using. However I am extremely inexperienced in the scene of overclocking. My goal is to get my 8120 to 8150 levels.

My Specs
-AMD FX-8120
-ASrock 970Extreme3
-Sapphire 6870 1gb
-OCZ ModXtreme 700w PSU
-8gb G.kill Rip jaws
-Cooler Master evo 212

Can someone tell me what exactly is going wrong and some tips on overclocking.

Thanks

Jack The Smith

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
well for one my cpu is air cooled and I use the Cooler Master 212+ as for the temps accroding to core temp I get at stock 9 degrees at idle and under load the most I ever hit was 24. Over clocking was almost identical.

9???

Ok, I am not sure what you're talking about there. Look, go into the BIOS and set your mulitiplier to 16X. Turn off turbo and cool and quiet. Hit F10 and exit. You should now be at 3.8 Ghz.
Come back if you need more help.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

amd overdrive is safe it's just a differernt way of overclocking and the good thing is that you can instantly see your temps but not what people always like, i like the bios better but anyway you should be stable at 18 x 200 at 3.6ghz which is the speed of the 8150 but anyway you should not need to change the temps.

this is like my 8400gs when i overclocked it from 520 to 1040 it decreased the fps by 1 fps so i bought a 6870 and it works ;)

Jack The Smith

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012

Thanks for the help but heres the problem. When I use amd overdrive to OC my cpu my frames in game go way down. Thats the problem I'm facing

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Well is the issue when you use AMD overdrive only or just every time you overclock?

ParalyzingAgent

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Are you up to date with Windows Updates? They have an up, I forget the KB#, that fixes issues using all the cores in the fx-8120.

I have my 8120 at 200x22 = 4.4Ghz right now, but my voltage is way high! I am currently fighting Bad Pool Caller errors when copying BD-Rs as my cores are reaching 50C (which is normal, IMHO, for this voltage under load). Im at 36C not under load.

You are using the latest AOD as well, right?

urbanmidnight

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Hi there guys !

I am having issues overclocking my AMD 8120 FX also....I use a ASROCK N68-VGS3FX with a Arctic cooling Freezer 7 Pro and 500W Arctic cooling PSU.
My idle temps are 37c at stock settings, when i used my stock AMD cooler it idled at 50c hence the decision to buy a none stock model.

The main issue i am getting is i can't seem to get a stable clock on any setting i have turned off APM, Turbo mode, C-states etc but i can't seem to achieve a stable clock even on 3.6ghz ! I ran AMD Overdrive just to see what setting it would give and it came out at 4.0ghz at something like 1.5 volts !! I started at 4.2 ghz and worked my way down but can't seem to get it stable no matter what voltage setting i use. The temps while running at 4.0 ghz were 47c reaching around 50c running games but after a few mins my computer either freezes or just powers off. What is the best process to employ while overclocking and what voltage should i start at ? I've had many years building machines for companies but due to funds this is my first time really overclocking.

I have seen many positive comments from people using Bulldozers to oc....some achieving 4.0ghz with better stock fans so i thought I'd try it myself :D

P.s.
AMD OD has a little prob too, after i run it and it comes up with the results for what voltage and multiplier i restart my machine but nothings happens on reboot ???

Ad.