Need help OC'ing this system, my efforts fail........

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I have a new system I picked out for my wife and so far my efforts to OC it are failing. I am not sure if it is a fault of the PSU or the Mobo. I have followed info from several forums but nothing seems to work. The board just underclocks under load and I can't seem to get above a 4GHz clock in the BIOS.

Specs:
AMD FX 4100
Gigabyte M68MT-S2
4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1333 (2x2Gb
Geforce GTX 460 SC
OCZ ZT Series 650
Apevia X-QPack 2 Micro ATX Case
I modified the case to fit an Antec 25 Kuhler H2O 620 with 2 fans in push/pull vented up.

I am posting photo's of the BIOS screens I have this way there is less confusion as to where to make certain changes. Most people say just to up the multiplier. I cant raise it past 19. As soon as I do it reverts back to a lower value or back to auto. the best I could get was x19 and 211MHz. Anything else and it wouldn't boot. I tried tweeking the voltages and this did nothing. I also had disabled all of the Spread spectrum settings, Turbo CPB, CPB, Hardware Thermal Control and the Cool and Quiet setting. I enable the Core Unlocking function but it didn't change anything since you can't unlock cores on the FX chips.

If anyone has any suggestions or perhaps some instructions on what values to change to be able to get past that 4GHz point I would be grateful!

Thanks!

DSC_4354.jpg

DSC_4355.jpg

DSC_4356.jpg

DSC_4357.jpg

DSC_4358.jpg

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

As I stated in the first few lines of my post I have already read almost all of the posts that came up in that search because I did it already. Word for word. It was the first thing I did. Only a couple of the links refer to my mobo and the issue that it represents. I would not have posted on here asking for help without first trying to find the answers elsewhere.

I have already ordered a GTX 580 SC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130590 to put in the computer. So is my Card too small for you now?

As far as my e-penis is concerned it has no say in the matter. I want to OC my computer because I can and because I want more performance out of a cheaper build. My graphics card is plenty big enough for the OC to make a moderate improvement in performance. Once the 590 is installed sometime next week it will be more than adequate.

Thank you for your sarcastic and useless response but next time please read the post and address the issue or ask questions. Bashing peoples hardware and making assumptions isn't necessary or helpful in any way.

The whole point of going with the FX 4100 in the first place was to build a faster computer for less money and allowing myself more cash for the Graphics card. I do hope your next post is designed to be helpful and not arrogant or useless.

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Actually it says CPB Ratio. Its where you set the ratio for the Core Performance Boost. I haven't tried it but perhaps setting that would work. I will try it. I just figured a manual OC would be more stable than setting the Turbo Boost to do it.

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
On another note, I tried setting the CPB ratio and it has the same results. It allows me to set the CPB ratio to 23.5 and leaving the CPU at 200MHz would be a Turbo of 4700MHz. But once I boot back into Windows and load Prime 95 it never actually boosts the CPU. It actually under clocks it to a lower frequency. It will switch between 16.5x201 and 18x201. Any suggestions on why it might be doing this?

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Does anyone know why the motherboard would under-clock while under load? Is it possible it is doing it because the power supply is not providing adequate voltage for a stable OC? Or did I just buy the wrong motherboard for OC'ing the processor?

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I just installed two windows updates that were supposed to fix an issue with AMD CPU's and issues like mine. They didn't fix the issue either. It is still under-clocking the CPU, even with the BIOS at stock settings and AMD C&Q Disabled, while under load. It runs fine while at idle or under minimal load. I have tried disabling the Core Performance Boost all together and still the same result. No matter whether I am setting it to OC or turning it all off it does the same thing.

Would this be an issue with the Motherboard? I could RMA it because it is brand new.

Or would it be more likely to be the CPU? I can RMA it as well.

mcopinger

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
When the CPU underclocks during Prime95 does it go down and stay down or just switch for a second? I'm asking because my 6200 does the same thing, bounches between 22.5 and 17.5. it's annoying but I don't think anything can be done about it.

when I get home I'll open this thread back up but at work I can't see the pictures so I'm running blind here.

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

It was going down and staying down. It would come back up to stock speed periodically but wouldn't stay for more than a split second. I RMA'd the board. Gigabyte has had it in their possession for about two weeks now. I hope they get it a replacement shipped out soon. I would like to get my computer back to running. :/

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
It didn't work. I just said f it and bought an asrock 970 extreme4. Works flawlessly now. I have it on a stable 24/7 OC of 4.6GHz with the ram running at 1600 7.7.7.24. With the 680 in there it runs like a dream. Well for her anyway. lol