Sign in with
Your question

2nd HD for HP Pavilion dv7tqe 6100 CTO

Last response: in Storage
September 18, 2011 4:56:57 PM

I am getting an HP Laptop a Pavilion dv7tqe 6100 CTO running Win Prof, 8gb RAM,Radeon 6770M w 2gb DDR3. The first HD is a 750gb 7200. I now want to add a 2nd HD. I will install the HD myself, have done this type thing before.

1) Which HD is a good buy
2) ease of installation
3) Any issues I should look out for?

Thx! :) 

JessieLC
November 15, 2011 12:04:26 AM

JessieLC said:
I am getting an HP Laptop a Pavilion dv7tqe 6100 CTO running Win Prof, 8gb RAM,Radeon 6770M w 2gb DDR3. The first HD is a 750gb 7200. I now want to add a 2nd HD. I will install the HD myself, have done this type thing before.

1) Which HD is a good buy
2) ease of installation
3) Any issues I should look out for?

Thx! :) 

JessieLC

I put in a 128 GB Kingston Hyperx SSD. The motherboard supports SATA version 3.0 (6.0GB/s) and this thing screams. Its WEI score is 7.8 out of a max of 7.9. The whole system rates out as a 6.9, being limited to its weakest link, the same video card you mention. Now, if you know how to upgrade the video card in the dv7tqe 6100, I'd love to install a Radeon HD 6990m, which is 3X faster then you would have quite the laptop.
m
l
November 22, 2011 2:15:05 AM

Thx for the info but you did not say if there are any issues I should look out for. How easy is the Kingston Hd to install.

JessieLC
m
l
November 22, 2011 7:36:41 PM

Sorry for the delay. The SSD is a breeze to install. Kingston ships it with Acronis software to clone the HD. Go to logicbuy.com. Right now the 120 GB version is selling for $180 (I spent $260 a few months ago.)
No real issues with the computer itself. I went with the lower resolution monitor because at the distances from which a user typically views a laptop, you can't see a difference. It does run a little hot especially if you are playing graphics intense games. Targus makes a laptop chiller that actually blows chilled air into the laptop through the grates on the sides of the laptop. I haven't tried it. It goes for about $50 on newegg.
Make sure you have the most recent BIOS that allows you to set the GPU manually. Originally it was supposed to do it dynamically and the thing would never switch from the onboard Intel HD3000 APU. The on baord graphics only good use is if you have software that allows you to use Intel's Quicksync technology for hardware based video conversion (e.g. .avi to .divx or something like that, in those cases the hardware based conversion is much faster than a GPU and software.)
m
l
Related resources
!