Dual monitor setup & cable

CMeys

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I am purchasing a new Dell system with a 20 inch FP monitor. I have an existing Dell 2001FP monitor and I want to use both them in a dual monitor setup. I know I need a stand alone video card. Once I do that, how do I connect the 2 monitors -- to 2 different ports on the card (does my old 2001FP have the right kind of port) with 2 cables? If 2 cables, what will I need to buy besides what comes with the system (or what I have from my existing monitor & system)? Thanks.

ridic23

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
No problem....ur monitor should have a VGA port....that is enough......if it has a DVI port even better.....If ur monitor is VGA only then all you need to have is DVI-VGA adapter to connect with the graphics card....the adapter mostly comes with the Card itself....

CMeys

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Do you mean that the video card will have 2 ports, one DVI and one VGA and I will connect one monitor to each of them?

Thanks.

ridic23

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
the card will have two DVI ports....u can connect a monitor to each port....if ur old monitor happens to be VGA then for connecting to the DVI port u will need a an adapter....