Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Thermal compound

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2012 12:45:12 AM

Hello,
Working on my latest build and realized I forgot arctic silver V. I would just wait and order some, but it's going to rain tomorrow and I won't have another chance for weeks.

Use the Cooler Master 212+ compound or try to dig up some ancient arctic silver I may have in a box somewhere?

i7-2700K, fairly aggressive over clock in a good airflow case. Corsair 800D.

More about : thermal compound

March 3, 2012 12:59:23 AM

use it, order the stuff you want and count this time as a break in period ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 1:02:38 AM

Ssgthollywood said:
Hello,
Working on my latest build and realized I forgot arctic silver V. I would just wait and order some, but it's going to rain tomorrow and I won't have another chance for weeks.

Use the Cooler Master 212+ compound or try to dig up some ancient arctic silver I may have in a box somewhere?

i7-2700K, fairly aggressive over clock in a good airflow case. Corsair 800D.

I wouldn't bother with the AS5. It's not top dog anymore. http://skinneelabs.com/2011-tim-results/

EDIT: Here is a specific link showing results of AS5 vs other paste http://skinneelabs.com/2011-tim-results/2/
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 1:38:00 AM

The Coolermaster stuff is fine.
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:38:19 AM

skaz said:
I wouldn't bother with the AS5. It's not top dog anymore. http://skinneelabs.com/2011-tim-results/

Well it's still among the top 5 at least and even then I'm very sure that the differences between any of the top five thermal compounds is not of much significance. I honestly have AS5 and can't ask for any better. So I'd say just look for some AS5 that you might have since it most likely doesn't expire and time won't do harm. :na:  Or if you can't seem to find any then just go and get some from the store. :) 
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:40:25 AM

anort3 said:
The Coolermaster stuff is fine.

Ehh sometimes it depends. I've had HSF that come with stock thermal compound that was at times crap and at times good. Even then I'd be able to squeeze a lot more performance or a lot less temps out when I used an aftermarket thermal compound. He seems to have a higher-end rig...might as well get the most out of it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 1:43:42 AM

Akhilcool said:
Well it's still among the top 5 at least and even then I'm very sure that the differences between any of the top five thermal compounds is not of much significance. I honestly have AS5 and can't ask for any better. So I'd say just look for some AS5 that you might have since it most likely doesn't expire and time won't do harm. :na:  Or if you can't seem to find any then just go and get some from the store. :) 

You obviously didn't spend enough time reading up on the site's information. :wahoo: 

As AS5 is no where near the top 5. Its wayyyyy at the bottom.

m
l
March 3, 2012 1:48:49 AM

skaz said:
You obviously didn't spend enough time reading up on the site's information. :wahoo: 

As AS5 is no where near the top 5. Its wayyyyy at the bottom.

]http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1228/timgraphlist.png

May I ask what basis this info is from? It says relative performance score but I don't know what that translates into. Or even if it is biased or not. Besides, finding some or most of the thermal compounds that are listed there is a very tough one if you look in stores. Unless of course OP doesn't mind going on the web to buy them.
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:50:16 AM

Also, a lot of valid sources I have found say that AS5 is better than MX-2 so seeing the reverse happening on your chart makes me wonder...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 1:53:40 AM

Akhilcool said:
May I ask what basis this info is from? It says relative performance score but I don't know what that translates into. Or even if it is biased or not. Besides, finding some or most of the thermal compounds that are listed there is a very tough one if you look in stores. Unless of course OP doesn't mind going on the web to buy them.

There is plenty of data on the site I linked already multiple times for you to research. And why would you want to buy most of those compounds? Silly monkey.

The opening post question was basically asking if it was worth digging for AS5 or to use the already freshly supplied thermal compound with the heatsink. With AS5 not being the best thermal compound to get anymore I would say, No it is not worth digging for the out dated AS5 and to just use the supplied thermal compound.

m
l
March 3, 2012 1:54:58 AM

Even still, the differences between the two have been said to be insignificant and AS5 is the popular option. Aside from that it is even cheaper so why not get the one 9/10 PC Hardware Tech's recommend?
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:57:26 AM

skaz said:
There is plenty of data on the site I linked already multiple times for you to research. And why would you want to buy most of those compounds? Silly monkey.

The opening post question was basically asking if it was worth digging for AS5 or to use the already freshly supplied thermal compound with the heatsink. With AS5 not being the best thermal compound to get anymore I would say, No it is not worth digging for the out dated AS5 and to just use the supplied thermal compound.

'Most compounds' means that the MAJORITY of the compounds listed are tough to find. It in no way states that the OP is going to buy all of them...I think you need to use common sense.
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:58:30 AM

Anyways, AS5 is still better than the supplied thermal compound so therefore it is worth digging up for....sheesh. If you're only going to apply it once and not even think about replacing it for many, many months or even years, then why not spend an extra bit of time looking for something that is better instead of rushing and applying the one that most likely will not be as effective as the AS5?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 2:04:31 AM

Akhilcool said:
Anyways, AS5 is still better than the supplied thermal compound so therefore it is worth digging up for....sheesh.

To know if AS5 is better then the supplied thermal compound we would first need to know what the supplied thermal compound was.

Again I will repeat myself for you. :love:  The OP had a question in regards to if it was worth it to search for the AS5. Answer in my personal opinion is no.

And simmer down with the multiple post in row. Kind of makes you come across as a dingle berry.
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:10:02 AM

skaz said:
To know if AS5 is better then the supplied thermal compound we would first need to know what the supplied thermal compound was.

Again I will repeat myself for you. :love:  The OP had a question in regards to if it was worth it to search for the AS5. Answer in my personal opinion is no.

And simmer down with the multiple post in row. Kind of makes you come across as a dingle berry.

Help usually seems to be more thought of when it in this case has been posted in a row as it shows that you want to add more info to your pre-existing thoughts....Anyways, that is your personal opinion and I have mine. I have the CM 212 cooler and I at first used the stock thermal compound. I got temps of around 60*C on full load. I then replaced that TIM with AS5 and saw a decrease of 6*C on full load. Not that OP will see that type of change or much of a change at all, statistically speaking you are more likely to notice lower temps. If all that is not important to you and you'd like the number 5 from McDonald's instead of the home cooked meal, then by all means go ahead with the stock CM TIM. :p 

Oh here's an edit just for you ... EDIT: The stock TIM is obviously not the same that I used and the HSF that OP is using is not the same as mine however, the fact is that AS5 has been seen to consistently perform better when in comparison to most stock TIM's...just statistics.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 2:15:18 AM

Akhilcool said:
Help usually seems to be more thought of when it in this case has been posted in a row as it shows that you want to add more info to your pre-existing thoughts....Anyways, that is your personal opinion and I have mine. I have the CM 212 cooler and I at first used the stock thermal compound. I got temps of around 60*C on full load. I then replaced that TIM with AS5 and saw a decrease of 6*C on full load. Not that OP will see that type of change or much of a change at all, statistically speaking you are more likely to notice lower temps. If all that is not important to you and you'd like the number 5 from McDonald's instead of the home cooked meal, then by all means go ahead with the stock CM TIM. :p 

What's the number 5?
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:17:49 AM

skaz said:
What's the number 5?

Not to go off topic but you're pushing me. The # 5 is probably some sort of burger. Not important however the ideology is that fast food is quick and easy, but compared to most home-cooking, it isn't healthy or smart to be honest. The time it takes to just plain search for a tube of TIM is worth it when it is generally a better option in comparison to the fast-food (stock TIM.) Got it?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 2:19:16 AM

TIM efficiency charts should relate to thermal load being tested. A 50C temp won't show as great a difference as an 80C temp. Also kinda' depends on how fast you want the fan(s) to run.
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:19:55 AM

Not to be a bastard but you seem to be arguing with me more than trying to help the OP...I'm not worth your time and effort but the OP is. Just saying.
m
l

Best solution

March 3, 2012 2:21:43 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
TIM efficiency charts should relate to thermal load being tested. A 50C temp won't show as great a difference as an 80C temp. Also kinda' depends on how fast you want the fan(s) to run.

THANK YOU! Very true and that is why the OP needs to speak up. I expected that chart he put up to be very biased in terms of how great the difference between the TIM's were. No way that was possible. I can see an advantage here and there but there would be a very insignificant temp difference if you were considering that the average temp you want your CPU to be at is ranging from the minimum of like 10*C to the max of 70*C. Taking it all the way to 88*C is a little extreme isn't it skaz? Also, any difference no matter how big or small is worth it as long as it isn't microscopic. :na:  But I was hoping and having a majority of my faith in the AS5 being the winner when comparing with the stock TIM.
March 3, 2012 2:34:37 AM

It helps to know the arctic silver should not age/expire. Is this the general consensus? Hope I can find it!

m
l
March 3, 2012 2:35:35 AM

Ssgthollywood said:
It helps to know the arctic silver should not age/expire. Hope I can find it!

Haha yeah I hope so too. :) 
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:38:50 AM

Just for reference, how long have you had the AS5?
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:40:44 AM

6 years is a loooong time. XD Let me find out if it should still be good after such a long time.
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:44:09 AM

Some people say that since it's just silver it shouldn't go bad after 5 years but I think it is too long of a time and might affect temps. I'd suggest you either buy AS5 (very cheap if you look in the right places) or use the stock TIM which isn't preferable.
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:46:02 AM

Or if you found the AS5 tube then check it too see if it separated given that the tube is clear, if it isn't then put a very small dab on paper and see if it has the same consistency or look as it did 6 years ago. XD Not that just based on those two characteristics can the TIM be in good condition, but it is somewhat of an indicator.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 2:56:34 AM

Akhilcool said:
Not to go off topic but you're pushing me.

@arkhil
I'm not arguing with you as much as I am disagreeing with you. Relax brother =) Discussion is the name of the game.

m
l
March 3, 2012 2:57:40 AM

Disagreeing requires facts for disapproval. You got none bro.
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:58:11 AM

Unless you consider your biased chart which offended more than just me..hint..hint.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 3:00:13 AM

Akhilcool said:
which offended more than just me..hint..hint.

In all seriousness. Who else has it offended?
m
l
March 3, 2012 3:01:42 AM

DelroyMonjo ^^
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 3:03:06 AM

I don't know if he was actually offended. =/
m
l
March 3, 2012 3:04:03 AM

LOL i know i was just answering your question.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 3:04:35 AM

Akhilcool said:
Unless you consider your biased chart which offended more than just me..hint..hint.

And I'm still not understanding this biased word you keep throwing around. What exactly is bias about these results?
m
l
March 3, 2012 3:08:27 AM

skaz said:
And I'm still not understanding this biased word you keep throwing around. What exactly is bias about these results?

They are showing the differences in temps that are completely scattered. One temp is at 88 and drops enormously. While another is at 50 and drops very insignificantly. In order to get a good understanding of the performance of the TIM, you need to have an equal playing field as temp drops are bigger at higher temps.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 3:15:57 AM

Akhilcool said:
They are showing the differences in temps that are completely scattered. One temp is at 88 and drops enormously. While another is at 50 and drops very insignificantly. In order to get a good understanding of the performance of the TIM, you need to have an equal playing field as temp drops are bigger at higher temps.

I only added one chart as an image to this thread. And that data had no temperatures. It was just a score system.

Specific temperature data is available though and can be found on the site. And that data is laid out where the degrees move in intervals of one.
m
l
March 3, 2012 3:18:19 AM

I never said that AS5 was the best TIM out there but it is easy to get and cheap in price so the argument was again "is it worth looking for?" I answered yes and it makes sense to use it in comparison to the stock TIM which in MOST cases is not the best TIM to use.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 3:31:18 AM

Gotchya brotha. Good luck OP.
m
l
March 3, 2012 4:14:11 AM

I think you should order some as soon as you can. If you can find some laying around by all means use it. HOWEVER, if you can't find some it should be fine to use the stock compound. Once you get new paste, you can easily clean off the old with alcohol. The 212 is a powerful cooler, so it shouldn't get too hot...
m
l
March 3, 2012 4:17:03 AM

Darth415 said:
I think you should order some as soon as you can. If you can find some laying around by all means use it. HOWEVER, if you can't find some it should be fine to use the stock compound. Once you get new paste, you can easily clean off the old with alcohol. The 212 is a powerful cooler, so it shouldn't get too hot...

it isn't a high-end cooler and if OP intends to overclock, he may want the AS5 especially for that. I'd suggest saving time with either using the old one or buying more AS5.
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:06:59 PM

Best answer selected by Ssgthollywood.
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:09:31 PM

Decided to wait and order some X2 along with the new CM 212+ Evo. Also gave me a chance to order a new Scythe 120cfm fan for the top of the case. Waiting sucks but it'll be worth it in the end. See if I can push the 2700k to around 4.8ghz on air like everyone says.
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:27:00 PM

Ssgthollywood said:
Decided to wait and order some X2 along with the new CM 212+ Evo. Also gave me a chance to order a new Scythe 120cfm fan for the top of the case. Waiting sucks but it'll be worth it in the end. See if I can push the 2700k to around 4.8ghz on air like everyone says.

Good luck!
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
March 4, 2012 2:35:14 PM

Ahh the old my thermal suggestion is better than your suggestion argument, that my friends is why I decided once and for all to run my own tests, not paid by any company to do it, not bribed or showered with extra gifts to lean towards their product, what you see is what you get, run the tests your own self if you don't believe them, and you will get exactly the same results.

Did companies try to sway and influence the results, yes they did!

When I would not agree they refused to enter a testing sample, now you guys are intelligent enough to understand what that means but let me clarify it, some of the test results that others have done are biased, and they were bought off by the companies submitting the testing TIM.

When I ran my Thermal Roundup, I ran it for you guys not any company, not even Toms Hardware, because I didn't get paid a penny to do it, I did it so you guys would have accurate information to base your buying decision on.

My ambient room temperature was totally controlled running the Air Cooling Tests, and the water temperature was controlled running the water cooling tests, you can 100% trust the information, the link is in my sig. Ryan
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
March 4, 2012 3:10:49 PM

Ssgthollywood said:

Running your 2700K at 4.8ghz will require life shortening voltage as far as a 24/7 running, for longevity you'll be much better of running it around the 4500mhz range especially with air cooling, most 2700Ks can run 4500mhz either in the 1.310v or 1.325v range, the problem is temperature and any air cooling solution is totally dependent on airflow, meaning you have to have good case airflow.

The absolutely best air coolers cannot do their jobs in a stagnant airflow case, and thermal compounds cannot do their jobs if not properly applied.

I do not know what you use your computer for but for gaming you will see no performance increase at 4800mhz anyway, clocking past 4500mhz only shows a performance increase in benchmarks like the 3DMarks, and some audio and video encoding and decoding speeds, IMO it's not worth the life shortening trade off.

I am water cooling temperature controlled by ice, and have successfully overclocked to 5100mhz a rock solid 24/7 stable OC, but I choose for daily use to run at 4500mhz, with lower voltage and temperatures. Ryan
m
l
!