Sign in with
Your question

Help with motherboard selection (i7-930)

Last response: in Motherboards
April 27, 2010 11:36:34 AM

Ok guys, I'm really confused at which motherboard I should be focusing on. I'm looking to build an i7-930 system and I was set with a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard but I read a fairly high volume of complaints that the board was DOA, or having issues fairly early on.

I'm also eyeballing the ASUS P6X58D-E LGA While the reviews are all positive, they're only 5 of them.

Then there's the venerable intel motherboard

All of the motherboards that I mentioned are nearly at the same price point of 200 bucks.

My usage is such that I'll not be looking to use SLI, light to little over-clocking and almost no gaming. Its primarily going to be used for work, vmware (linux and osx), photoshop, adobe lightroom and the ubiquitous surfing/email/office apps.

Quality and compatibility is high on my list, I'll be using both win7 and fedora as the host OS in a dual boot configuration. the gigabyte MB seems to have all the features I'd like and then some, the Asus seems to be a "safer" option and then perhaps the intel possibly being the safest though I did see some negative comments on newegg for that MB as well.

Any insight, advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

a c 295 V Motherboard
April 27, 2010 2:14:24 PM

Hi.

The ASUS mobo is one of the best mobos that u can get, BUT u probably don't use it at the max power because u don't want OC, Crossfire and another stuffs that this mobo have.

The best mobo price/performance/reliability is Gigabyte. U don't need buy a expensive mobo if u don't plan use it at the max power.
m
l
April 27, 2010 4:50:39 PM

Thanks,
Price aside since all three of what I referenced are near the same price, which model will provide the best quality/reliability and compatibility?

I will plan on doing some OCing but initially I'll be keeping that to a minimum. I'm leaning towards the asus only because newegg is showing a fair amount of negative reviews for the gigabyte model.
m
l
Related resources
April 27, 2010 6:23:09 PM

The ASUS P6X58D-E is the one I'm now leaning towards, the only concern if you want to call it that is the lack of depth for reviews - only a handful. Still, I have a better feeling for the ASUS.
m
l
!