Sign in with
Your question

XP Pro x64 setup freezes on "Setup is starting Windows"

Last response: in Windows XP
April 24, 2012 6:29:18 AM

I've done extensive Googling on the subject, have seen lots of responses.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium installed on an HP Pavillion DV6500. From looking at the bottom of the laptop I see it originally had Vista Home Premium installed. This copy of 7 is not genuine, and it is 32-bit, which is silly to me when the laptop has a dual-core 64bit processor. I have a copy of XP Pro x64 that I would like to install on the laptop.

Setup freezes after loading all of the hardware drivers, at the message "Setup is starting Windows."

Specs:

Under Computer in Device Manager it says "ACPI X86-Based PC"
Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 1.9GHz
2GB of RAM (no further info on hardware since it's an OEM laptop)
Toshiba MK1637GSK ATA 160GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 7150 / nForce 630M
MATSHITA DVD RAM UJ-861 ATA

Under Processors we have:
AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58
AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58

Under Other Devices we have 3 with (!) beside them:

- Base System Device(!):

PCI Bus 2, Device 5, Function 3
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

- Base System Device(!):

PCI Bus 2, Device 5, Function 2

- Coprocessor(!):

PCI Bus 0, Device 1, Function 3

All other devices are working properly

I have tried the Press F5 When Setup Asks You To Press F6 to Install 3rd Party Raid Drivers method, and I am given 3 options:

ACPI Multiprocessor x64
ACPI Uniprocessor x64
Other

Neither ACPI option produces different results insofar as the hang at Setup is Starting Windows option. Other brings me to a screen asking me to insert a floppy disk into A (This computer has no floppy drive).

I have not tried flashing the BIOS but the RAM test came out fine and it seems to recognize the processor fine. I have also never flashed a BIOS in the past, so i have no idea how to do it anyway.
April 24, 2012 8:16:10 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Firstly, congratulations on the wise move on BIOS flashing - I've known more systems totally hosed by that method than any other.

That the system is freezing and not posting a message about failing to find a hard disk on which to install points to a different problem than that one. That said, it's worth going into BIOS and checking the AHCI setting and changing it to IDE for the moment to see if that gets around the problem. If it does, RAID becomes a harder question to answer but at least we know what we're dealing with.

I think the system may be falling over on sight of a previous installation so maybe removing the hard disk and formatting externally will help.

This probably doesn't need saying, but if your 64bit CD came as one of a pair, the other being 32bit and if that is installed elsewhere, the new installation won't pass activation. Neither will changing the Product Key to the one on the case because that was Vista so you might be leading up the wrong path altogether. I say that only because you said "I have a copy of XP Pro 64 bit".

My money is on formatting the old system out first.

m
l
Related resources
!