Sign in with
Your question

My Computer turns off as soon as i turn it on!! HELP!!!

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2010 5:57:45 PM

I have a somewhat older Mobo. EVGA Socket 939 nForce4 ATX. I always leave my computer on. And i built this computer back in mid 06. Last night i left it on before i went to bed, and when i woke up it was turned off. I thought it was due to a power outage or something but when i went to turn it back on it just turned on and then suddenly turned off. Only way to leave it on is to tap the power button several times. But when i turn it on like this, the computer doesnt boot up and the monitor just stays black. It wont turn on/bootup.

I was reading that it can be the capacitors, so i checked them and i saw a couple of them that were bursted from the top. I made a video showing them and what happens. Please Help and advise on what to do. Ive spent about 2 hours today looking for the same or similar mobo on the net to buy it but its not in stock anywhere.

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXQfXTUbPGQ

More about : computer turns turn

a c 271 ) Power supply
January 16, 2010 6:05:41 PM

uh oh, that looks like the inner goodness of a capacitor, its only good when its on the inside of the can. Your board is dead, totally dead. You likely wont be able to find a 939 motherboard anymore, but its a good excuse to upgrade to some newer tech which will perform a lot better.
m
l
January 16, 2010 6:11:31 PM

so what if i replace the capicitors?
can you confirm that my power supply is not the problem
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2010 6:12:11 PM

any nvidia 939 motherboard will do..as long as it has nvidia chipsets in it.

when you install it youll have to re activate windows thats all.

if your in the uk i have a gigabyte board instock....
m
l
January 16, 2010 6:22:21 PM

Yes you can replace the capacitors. It's not hard to do. But the thing is, if two have gone then many more are ready to go. There was a lot of bad capacitors put on motherboards around 2004-2006.

3btec and Geeks get socket 939 motherboards in. You have to keep checking because they don't last long.

http://3btech.net/
http://www.geeks.com/
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 16, 2010 6:22:34 PM
January 16, 2010 6:23:23 PM

well 5 are gone and i see that 4 or 5 more are bulging. I can replace them all. will it work if i do that?
m
l
a c 271 ) Power supply
January 16, 2010 6:23:58 PM

Your power supply is not the reason its not booting, that fault belongs to the electrolytic goo that isnt in the capacitor where it was supposed to be. It will be a lot of trouble to go through and replace all of the caps that are broken, i dont think it would be worth it. While you power supply may not be the reason for it not booting, it was likely part of what got your system to this state, there isnt a reason for a cap to spontaneously bust, it usually gets hit by a brief power spike. What PSU do you have and how old is it? If it came with the system it might be a good time to replace it with a new higher quality unit.
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
January 16, 2010 6:24:22 PM

I agree with hunter. Depending on what you have that can still be used, you should probably build new. It is entirely possible that other parts are damaged as well. What brand and model of PSU is that, and what is your budget?
m
l
January 16, 2010 6:45:03 PM

Rosewill RD550-2DB-SL SLV 550W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.2 / SSI standard EPS 12V SLI Ready Active PFC Active PFC Power Supply ... - Retail

thats what i have had since i built the computer back in 06.

m
l
January 16, 2010 6:47:38 PM

BTW i cant really go past anything 100 dollars right now. My bills all piled up with some sudden unexpected ones. And this is the only computer i have. So i cant really build another one. Maybe later this year i will but for now i need to keep this one.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2010 7:04:31 PM

Are there any small mom and pop type computer repair stores around you ?? - they might have some used socket 939 boards that would at least get you back up and running for the time being - but I'd have to agree it's time to start saving up to get a new system !
m
l
January 16, 2010 7:13:00 PM

lol i wish but theres not many here
m
l
January 17, 2010 6:44:20 PM

diaz9220 said:
lol i wish but theres not many here

try and avoid foxconn if you can..

really are a dregs manufacturer of boards - the fans on the hot southbridge make a noise after a while - not top quality

bought 10 of these once and all fans made noises :( 
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
January 17, 2010 9:06:26 PM

I'm not sure I've seen a fan on a mobo since NForce 4 s939. Several companies' low-end boards had the bad caps problem.
m
l
July 3, 2010 5:42:27 AM

guys my gigabyte motherboard just turned off suddenly.. . then after i turned on the pc after a second turned off again.. . is it a motherboard problem>?
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
July 3, 2010 12:33:13 PM

That's an excellent question to use to start your own thread.
m
l
!