Replacement for Sythe Shuriken

Hello,

I'm looking for a replacement for my Sythe Shuriken heatsink because I'm not very happy with the temps (~70 degrees full load)

I've got a mini-ITX system with the following spec's:

Case: SilverStone GS05
cpu: i5 760
Mainboard: Gigabyte H55NUSB3
gpu: Palit GTX 460 Sonic
psu: SilverStone SST-ST45SF (450W)
4gb of low profile RAM

I still must be able to use the pci-e slot and ofcourse both RAM slots, but I don't think that will be a problem because the RAM modules are very low profile and barely stick out of the

So far I found few options:

Prolimatech Samuel 17 (fits for sure)
Thermalright AXP-140 (fits but backplate can't be used)
Sythe Big Shuriken (not sure if this blocks the pci-e slot, can anyone confirm this?)

Are there any better options? and if not which of these would be the best to go with?
16 answers Last reply
More about replacement sythe shuriken
  1. The Samuel seems like the best option to me. I will be using it in the Lian-Li's PC-Q11 case with an inverted fan.
    The Big Shuriken rev. B is cheaper though and it won't won't block the PCI-E slots or the RAM ones.
  2. Thermalright AXP-140 RT or MST-140.
    http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=27&id=99
    http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=27&id=181
    Thermalright AXP-140 is discontinued = the RT is the replacement.
    The MST and RT have 40.2mm ram clearance and superior cooling performance.
    The Samuel is not a very good cooler and only has 27mm ram height clearance.
    The Scythe is quiet(so are Thermalright) but also not a very good cooler.
  3. What's the difference between the MST and the APX?
  4. Noctua have this-

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/noctua-pc-cooler-fan-heatsink-low-profile,14775.html

don't know how big the SG05 is but I managed to replace a shuriken in my SG01 with an H50-type closed water loop (just)
  5. The NH-L12 is not going to fit.
  6. wouterk said:
    What's the difference between the MST and the APX?

The RT is superior and the flagship htpc cooler.
  7. I can't seem to find the Thermalright APX-140 RT, is it a fearly new product? How much does it differ from the APX-140?
  8. wouterk said:
    I can't seem to find the Thermalright APX-140 RT, is it a fearly new product? How much does it differ from the APX-140?

Dude! i gave you Thermalright's website link = contains all the possible info needed,including where to buy!
    The RT replaced the previous version = universal retention hardware = that's the difference.
    Support intel Socket 775 / 1366 / 1156 and AMD Socket AM2 / AM3
  9. Let me rephrase: I can't seem to find the APX-140-RT in any of the (web)shops in my country, hence my question. Thanks for the clarification :)
  10. wouterk said:
    Let me rephrase: I can't seem to find the APX-140-RT in any of the (web)shops in my country, hence my question. Thanks for the clarification :)

What country?
  11. davcon said:
    What country?

The Netherlands
  12. wouterk said:
    The NH-L12 is not going to fit.

have you tested? do you mean it doesnt fit with both fans or it doesnt fit even with only the 92mm fan?
  13. gaig said:
    have you tested? do you mean it doesnt fit with both fans or it doesnt fit even with only the 92mm fan?
    I haven't tested it. It will fit in height in single-fan configuration, but i'm not sure if it will block the pci-e slot or not.
  14. davcon said:

with only one fan (which is more than enough for a i3 setup) the height is 66mm. The clearance that sg05 needs, I think it is 82mm. So, height is ok. But I am concerned about what wouterk said.. whether it will block the pcie slot.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Overclocking