Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice needed

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 30, 2009 12:23:20 PM

I have a problem with my home build, and yes I have read the " READ before posting about boot problems!" thread.
so, I pu together the computer without any problems and connected to the monitor, everything fired up but no bios loaded, I went through afew steps in the above thread but now I'm in a worse position, when I turn it on the fans go for a second and then turn off over and over, if I plug out the 4pin connector over the processor it all fires up okay. So any ideas on what needs to be done?
All help welcome, I have a feeling its somthing to do with the thermal paste but I dont know...

Its my first buil by the way. Thanks!

More about : advice needed

October 30, 2009 12:50:40 PM

What are your specs?
So your saying when you power on it turns off and on?
Does it do this until you have to manually power down?
It sounds to me like a power supply or a motherboard problem.
Try using the paper clip method to jump start your ps.
If the ps works it's more than likely your motherboard.

Thermal paste shouldn't be a problem for booting...did you have any trouble installing the heatsink? Try reseating it.

One last thing...try only one stick of ram, sometimes you get one DOA.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2009 12:54:36 PM

It'll help if you post your hardware specs.

When you say it fired up without the 4 pin cpu power, did it POST correctly? All the way into windows?
Related resources
October 30, 2009 1:02:06 PM

i5processor 2.66ghz
Gtx 275 graphics
4gigs G.skill ripjaw Ram
Asus P7P55D Le mobo
1tb hdd
630watt psu

Well if I dont have the 4pin above the processor plugged in it runs fine so I dont think its the psu and the motherboard is definitely getting power too, so i'm thinking a problem with the processor or cpu socket maybe?

October 30, 2009 1:04:17 PM

No, I meant everything else got power, it didnt just short out like when the 4pin is in....
I'll worry about getting the bios to load when the it turns on properly!!
a b B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2009 1:17:04 PM

If you aren't getting a BIOS screen, then it's not booting fine without the 4 pin cpu power.

Try booting with only the video card, hard drive, and 1 stick of RAM.
October 30, 2009 1:17:34 PM

The socket is part of the motherboard..I highly doubt it is the cpu.
I take it you don't know anyone with a p55 motherboard to test your cpu out on.
I would contact asus and see what they have to say. They will RMA your board no problem, unless you got it from newegg then that might be quicker.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2009 1:18:05 PM

What brand PSU?
October 30, 2009 1:28:35 PM

AXP Powersupply ATX 630W Retail SLI
a b B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2009 1:32:07 PM

i think that could be the problem since many generic psu's are rated in odd numbers
October 30, 2009 1:39:49 PM

many generic psu's are rated in odd numbers

What do you mean by this? Im learning as fast as I can here!!
October 30, 2009 1:41:50 PM

aford10 said:
Try booting with only the video card, hard drive, and 1 stick of RAM.


It would boot without the cpu??
October 30, 2009 1:44:54 PM

cory1234 said:
The socket is part of the motherboard..I highly doubt it is the cpu.
I take it you don't know anyone with a p55 motherboard to test your cpu out on.
I would contact asus and see what they have to say. They will RMA your board no problem, unless you got it from newegg then that might be quicker.


Contacting them is my next step....
Am I actually might have a friend who has a P55 but I wont know till monday...
Why would you doubt its the cpu?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2009 2:27:25 PM

SolarCreeed said:
It would boot without the cpu??


No. Sorry, I left out the obvious. You want to also include the CPU and PSU to boot.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2009 2:31:01 PM

SolarCreeed said:
many generic psu's are rated in odd numbers

What do you mean by this? Im learning as fast as I can here!!


Many generic PSUs don't meet the ratings that they claim. They may post a peak output instead of a continuous output. Or they may test in lower than average temps to skew the test results. They don't accurately rate the amps on the rails......Overall, they can usually be ticking timb bombs.

You never want to skimp on a PSU. If it blows, it can take other hardware out with it.
October 30, 2009 2:35:10 PM

aford10 said:
Many generic PSUs don't meet the ratings that they claim. They may post a peak output instead of a continuous output. Or they may test in lower than average temps to skew the test results. They don't accurately rate the amps on the rails......Overall, they can usually be ticking timb bombs.

You never want to skimp on a PSU. If it blows, it can take other hardware out with it.


Wow, that I never knew, thanks! I'm about to check the psu on another board and if it works I'll just apply for a replacement board.....

Thanks for the help!!
!