OCZ ModXStream vs Fatal1ty 700W PSU for this build?

arcticking

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Which PSU would be better? The OCZ ModXStream vs Fatal1ty 700W?

OCZ ModXStream: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=35456&vpn=OCZ700MXSP&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology&promoid=1061

OCZ Fatal1ty: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=45947&vpn=OCZ700FTY&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology

Im not so much worried about the price, and please no suggestions on different PSUs I just want a comparison of which is better between the two. I am saying this because I have looked through almost all the PSUs that fit my criteria and these two 700W fits them perfect with price/performance.

So which is good for this build?

4GB OCZ Gold 800 Mhz RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB PCI-E
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition o/ced @ 3.8Ghz (Quad-Core)
IDE 140GB Hard Drive
1 Case Fan
Monitor: Screen Resolution 1280x1028

:bounce:

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Yes, if not planing to SLI or not allowing for it, then even a good 500w PSU will be more than adequate.

The weak spot I see in what you are showing is that old HD, I encourage you to upgrade to one of the much faster current ones - from about $55 for a 500 GB to only about $90 for 1 TB.

arcticking

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

I was only asking which would be better between the two, and whats the benefits of a better HardDrive?

arcticking

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

I have my own reason of why I want the 700W that is also why I asked to only compare the two and hold back your suggestions of a different PSU. Now could you tell me which is better between the 2 OCZ I asked? :(

*I am taking the 700W because if I am going to upgrade other components in the future I wont want to waste money buying another PSU upgrading from a 600W to a 700W. I know both OCZ are decent but which is better?*

arcticking

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

actually they both have 2 pci-e 6 pins. One 6 Pin, one 6+2 Pin.
I took the ModXStream anyways as I like my PSUs modular :) Thanks guys!

LMAO ! - gotta agree esp. since the choices wer very limited in the first place

Oh and to answer what is the benefits of a better HD - your old 140gb drive will not retreive the game info from the HD fast enough to keep up with the demand from your 4890 and CPU which means your performance will suffer as the system stops to wait for the info. (since it is most likely an older model with little to no cache and one of the slower ide modes limiting the throughput) so you'll get alot of stuttering in games

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Yes, he would be well ahead to spend less on PSU and video card, if necessary, and get the faster HD.

But he was not asking about that so he doesn't want to know. Doesn't want any suggestions for improving his system that he did not specifically ask for. Which is probably why he did not present his complete system so reviewers could really assess and help. Sad that when one tries to really help he just reprimands.

So often I have seen OP who weren't so arrogant post a limited question and when responders pointed out issues with the narrow choices the wise OP thanked them and made the changes. Huge difference here.

arcticking

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
The reason why I took the ModXStream was that it cost less, there were no flashy bling like the red LEDs and that there was only a small difference to my perspective. I am looking forward now to buy a new HD 500-1000GB and 7200 RPM with 64MB cache. Just the average :) Also have to pick my self up some OCZ Gold 2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM.