Sign in with
Your question

Just put system together. cpu temp 87c

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2012 1:07:03 PM

I am new to the High tech computer world. i basically gave my brother my credit card and said order me a badass computer. so he did and put it together for me. i installed windows and after it rebooted i got an error in bios saying cpu temp hi. and its reading 87c. when i'm at main windows screen my core temp i downloaded is telling me 49'54c. but if i have a window like youtube or something opened it goes up past 70c+. my first motherboard did the same thing so i rma'd it and just put my new one in last night. same temps. i don't know ANYTHING about overclocking or how to get my temps lower. and i have a zalman 9500 cololer on it. i switched to the factory intel cooler to see if it changed.. makes the same numbers. and my mb is an asus p8p67 1155 chipset with an intel i5 2500 cpu. i called asus tech support and they told me to read the manual. i called them back again and they said they can't help me that i shouldn't have bought a computer if i didn't know how to operate it."like really" that being said everyone is a beginner sometime in their life. so is their something in bios that someone has any ideas of how to get these temps lower. ;-( i do not believe its my heatsink its a setting in bios but i really don't want to touch it and fry something.
March 3, 2012 3:56:09 PM

Did you apply thermal paste to the CPU?
March 3, 2012 4:00:22 PM

AndrewK1 said:
Did you apply thermal paste to the CPU?

yes, and like i said tried 2 different fans
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 4:17:25 PM

Did you take you off the tape from the heatsink which is meant to protect it during transit?. It's where the heatsink makes contact with the cpu.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 4:22:40 PM

I don't see how a youtube video would stress out your computer like that...What else are you running while youtube'ing ? Clean the chip off and reapply the TIM, and HSF..also make sure your case airflow is linear i.e.-----> all exhausting in one direction...It has nothing to do with the BIOS unless you or your brother OCed it on a stock cooler.....BTW...Make sure that you do not use too much TIM and that the HSF is seated firmly in place
March 3, 2012 4:49:29 PM

I have an Asus P8P67 pro, i5-2500k and Scythe Mugen 2. I also made the 'rookie' mistake of not seating my HSF properly resulting in unusually high temps when running my system.

Just like lowjack said, check your hardware setup. It's not the BIOS settings. Something is amiss with your hardware setup.
March 3, 2012 7:22:29 PM

neograndizer said:
I have an Asus P8P67 pro, i5-2500k and Scythe Mugen 2. I also made the 'rookie' mistake of not seating my HSF properly resulting in unusually high temps when running my system.

Just like lowjack said, check your hardware setup. It's not the BIOS settings. Something is amiss with your hardware setup.

i took my time putting it all together. and i got the same temps out of 2 motherboards and 2 fans. i watched a lot of videos on proper amount and way to put on thermal paste. i don't know how it could be wrong. suppose i can rip it apart and apply fan for like the 5th time. but its reading 87c just at bios from a cold start up after about 1 minute of running. but my core temp reader is telling me like 49c at idle 75 running a program or 2.
March 3, 2012 7:23:46 PM

lowjack989 said:
I don't see how a youtube video would stress out your computer like that...What else are you running while youtube'ing ? Clean the chip off and reapply the TIM, and HSF..also make sure your case airflow is linear i.e.-----> all exhausting in one direction...It has nothing to do with the BIOS unless you or your brother OCed it on a stock cooler.....BTW...Make sure that you do not use too much TIM and that the HSF is seated firmly in place

i'm running an antec 900 seriers case with 5 operating fans in it that are well exhausted!
March 3, 2012 7:24:35 PM

Quote:
Did you take you off the tape from the heatsink which is meant to protect it during transit?. It's where the heatsink makes contact with the cpu.

yes i did.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 7:39:40 PM

as everyone else is saying u have stuffed something up with the hsf or fan how hard is the hsf cranked down cos it needs to be tight my 2500k is currently sitting on 32-35 degrees at idle and doesnt get alot over mid 50's under heavy load and thats in the australia summer with my coolermaster hyper 212+ which i wouldnt think is really alot better than your hsf. it might be a stupid question but u got ur hsf blowing the right way eg flow of air out the back of your compu thru an exhaust fan, is the fan on your hsf hooked up?? dont waste your time with tech support they are useless. the bios doesnt lie if it was another program i would say it could be that
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 8:04:02 PM

Well obvisiously either the BIOS's reading is wrong or the software is wrong...I would flash my BIOS to the latest version...Just to see if it would fix.. thats if you feel comfortable doing such a thing
!