Sign in with
Your question

SOLVED: Please help me! Awesome comp, not awesome installing Windows 7

Last response: in Systems
October 30, 2009 1:53:05 PM

So I got this problem installing windows 7 on a new computer. At first, it got errors and such but I finally got it to install. But the next day it got BSoD everytime I tried to login. I had other hard drives connected to it.

So the next day, I formatted all the hard drives, reset BIOS, unplugged the other two hard drives and tried installing on the one hard drive I wanted. It gets to 100% copying files, but hangs at 0% or if I'm lucky, 1% expanding files, then I get Windows Install error code 0xC0000005 and it goes back to start of installation. When I try installing again on the same hard drive, it says "A previous version of windows is on this hard drive, all old files will be placed in Windows.old." I try again after wiping it or installing over it, same thing, same error.

I need help guys. I've got this serious butt-kicking system but I can't get windows on it. Help!!!

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G

Processor: Amd Phenom II X4 955

Case: Antec 900 two black mid-tower case

RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB

Disc reader: An old backup disc reader from Sony, looks ugly in my case because it's gray, but I think it's PATA interface

Monitor: An LG 19" flat screen LCD 1440x900 monitor

Mouse: Razer Deathadder (old edition)

Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II

Speakers: Logitech X-540 5.1 surround speakers

P.S. I'm trying to install 64-bit windows. 32-bit has the same errors, in fact, more errors such as .exe files crashing.

UPDATE: RMA'd windows 7 install disks and memory modules. Not here yet, will update if it works.

UPDATE 2: Got Windows 7 installed, it's all good...
October 30, 2009 1:59:55 PM

Is this full retail, or a downloaded iso? (was this the student edition?)
m
l
October 30, 2009 2:01:12 PM

jared51182 said:
Is this full retail, or a downloaded iso? (was this the student edition?)

Pre-ordered for 50$ the Home Edition upgrade. I got it installed without windows on once so it should work again.
m
l
Related resources
October 30, 2009 2:08:13 PM

This was a posting about an e-mail from Microsoft regarding the upgrade software. However, at the end they say that that is a little iffy. In sum, it says you need an OS activated on the HDD to use the upgrade software, if it is a clean HDD, then you need to have a full windows license. (http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/20...)

However, they say, and I think I have seen somewhere, that this is not entirely correct. Maybe some one has installed the upgrade onto a blank HDD, and we can confirm that.

However, the errors you are getting seem a little odd. Have you tried installing the OS onto one of the other drives? Do you have winXP or Vista to install first, and then try the upgrade again?

Have you considered a problem with your RAM? Or the HDD?
m
l
October 30, 2009 2:14:52 PM

jared51182 said:
This was a posting about an e-mail from Microsoft regarding the upgrade software. However, at the end they say that that is a little iffy. In sum, it says you need an OS activated on the HDD to use the upgrade software, if it is a clean HDD, then you need to have a full windows license. (http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/20...)

However, they say, and I think I have seen somewhere, that this is not entirely correct. Maybe some one has installed the upgrade onto a blank HDD, and we can confirm that.

However, the errors you are getting seem a little odd. Have you tried installing the OS onto one of the other drives? Do you have winXP or Vista to install first, and then try the upgrade again?

Have you considered a problem with your RAM? Or the HDD?

I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic from the boot disk and tested several times. Even took one stick out, then the other, and moved different slots. Memory is clearly not the problem.

It might possibly be a problem with the hard drive but I fail to see how. I could try installing on a different hard drive to test that theory...

I do not have XP or vista to install over. When I got windows to install it was on a blank hard drive with no previous OS there.

The only two possible problems I see are either the disc reader not properly reading the CD, or the hard drive.
m
l
October 30, 2009 2:34:18 PM

*bump*

A lot of views. Does anyone have an idea? Soon I'm going to disconnect everything and triple-check the connections and stuff. One thing I did find out thanks to the Antec manual for the 900 two, I didn't put in all the screws for the motherboard x)
m
l
October 30, 2009 5:58:33 PM

Thanks for the link Memphis. Would windows give error 0xC0000005 and BSoDs if it couldn't find a previous version of windows on the system? I had forgotten, I had a hard drive with windows XP connected when I got windows 7 installed. This may be the issue. I will write back if it works...
m
l
October 31, 2009 3:11:21 PM

Alright. I tested on a different hard drive, got to 21% and then it said the installer was corrupted. So I'm going to contact newegg about a replacement for that. Then, I thought the disk drive was not working, I tried a different disk drive, and this time, it stayed at 0%. I also plugged in a vista hard drive to see if having a previous windows OS on the system would install windows 7 just fine.

My conclusion is:

1. My main hard drive is not working correctly (will replace)

2. The windows install disk is corrupted/damaged (will replace)

3. Just to be safe I think I will get a new disk drive.

Does anyone think this is a good decision? I can't link the problems of installing windows to anything else. I plugged in a vista hard drive and booted into it with NO drivers absolutely fine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2009 3:48:26 PM

first , once you install windows, doesn't matter if it is XP, Vista, or 7 you have to wipe the drive to do a reinstall, there is a file called ntldr.dll and you cannot delete, and it saves all the basic installation info , so it causes corruptions with the reinstall, new vs old, one has to lose, it uses the old setup files and tries to merge the 2, so it really messes things up, download the Ultimate boot CD and in the hard drive tools use wipe, and then reinstall the OS, good luck
m
l
October 31, 2009 4:58:27 PM

number13 said:
first , once you install windows, doesn't matter if it is XP, Vista, or 7 you have to wipe the drive to do a reinstall, there is a file called ntldr.dll and you cannot delete, and it saves all the basic installation info , so it causes corruptions with the reinstall, new vs old, one has to lose, it uses the old setup files and tries to merge the 2, so it really messes things up, download the Ultimate boot CD and in the hard drive tools use wipe, and then reinstall the OS, good luck

I will definitely try that as soon as possible. Thanks for the info!
m
l
November 2, 2009 2:30:01 PM

Did not work. Completely wiped hard drive, no change. RMA'd windows 7 install disk and RAM chips. I ran memtest86 and memtest86+, the ram has errors so this might fix it...hopefully...
m
l
November 2, 2009 2:55:37 PM

Always check system stability before you install an OS on a new system.
m
l
November 2, 2009 3:06:56 PM

have you tried running your hdd in ide mode?
m
l
November 4, 2009 2:42:53 PM

How would running in IDE help? It makes it slower, and causes errors when you switch back later.
m
l
November 5, 2009 6:14:27 AM

So is the problem gone now with good memory? You said you had memory errors so it seems obvious what the problem is.
m
l
November 5, 2009 8:42:28 AM

Well, my suggestion, try removing all RAM DIMMs except 1 slot.
Then, Set SATA mode to IDE like others stated.
Then try to load setup defaults settings in BIOS in the exit tab in the BIOS.
Now try the setup, if it still doesn't work, then download this BIOS file:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM3/M4A785TD-...

I have already went to Asus site and grabbed the latest BIOS link for you assuming that the board is the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO. Download the file, extract the file to a thumb drive. Reboot system with the thumb drive, press Alt+F2 to launch Ez Flash 2 (check ur manual how), and flash the BIOS from there. When its done flashing, go back to BIOS and load setup defaults settings.
Try Windows 7 setup again.

m
l
November 5, 2009 9:59:49 AM

First let him run Memtest without errors? If the RAM produces errors its only logical it will screw things up, and corrupt data on disk. Its like a car that doesn't drive. :) 
m
l
November 5, 2009 10:34:12 AM

sub mesa said:
First let him run Memtest without errors? If the RAM produces errors its only logical it will screw things up, and corrupt data on disk. Its like a car that doesn't drive. :) 

Oh... I thought I read ran memtest86 w/o issues.... Sorry.... To OP: Get your RAM rma and then try Windows 7 Setup, if it doesn't work then ONLY try what I have stated
m
l
November 5, 2009 2:06:59 PM

Yah I was planning on flashing the BIOS as soon as I got it. The RAM won't be here for several days, perhaps next week on Tuesday so I'm just going to have to wait. Thanks for the help guys, I'll try ASAP, but how do you set the hard drive to run in IDE mode? I've looked through BIOS and I am confused...

Quick question, do I flash the BIOS to latest edition? Or do each update consecutively?
m
l
November 5, 2009 3:09:33 PM

Directly to latest version :) 
m
l
November 5, 2009 10:36:25 PM

In theory, setting SATA to AHCI will give you the best performance for non-RAID setup.
Ig you arre confused look at your own motherboard manual. Since you nailed the RAM was problematic, I suggest you change to AHCI then try Windows 7 Setup on next Tuesday. :) 

Since you may not find your manual, I checked it out from Asus site, all you need to do is: Enter BIOS>Main tab>SATA Configuration>OnChip SATA Type>AHCI/IDE/RAID
m
l
November 6, 2009 2:47:25 AM

akash3656 said:
In theory, setting SATA to AHCI will give you the best performance for non-RAID setup.
Ig you arre confused look at your own motherboard manual. Since you nailed the RAM was problematic, I suggest you change to AHCI then try Windows 7 Setup on next Tuesday. :) 

Since you may not find your manual, I checked it out from Asus site, all you need to do is: Enter BIOS>Main tab>SATA Configuration>OnChip SATA Type>AHCI/IDE/RAID

Thanks for the help, I will try that next week. Newegg emailed me saying that they received the defected RAM and will send it back ASAP.
m
l
November 10, 2009 11:23:20 PM

Success! New memory passed memtest86+ 1.70 with flying colors, no problems whatsoever, took about 37 minutes to complete. Going to use Ubuntu until my windows 7 install disk comes.
m
l
November 11, 2009 12:02:46 AM

Good to hear your RAM RMA-ed well. And it was on a tuesday... Good. Because when I RMA parts at my local computer store, they take anywhere from 1 week-1 month w/o giving you a specific date. (and the shop is the best computer store around)
m
l
November 12, 2009 10:31:55 PM

Finally! After much waiting, I got windows 7 installed. I don't think I can choose anyone's answer as best since I kinda figured out on my own...

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions! I appreciated your help. Consider this topic closed.
m
l
!