Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD, RAID 0, or RAMDISK

Last response: in Storage
September 19, 2011 3:15:46 AM

I'm not in a hurry to upgrade or anything, just asking for opinions.

If given a choice limited due to budget which will you choose to improve performance.

1) SSD - does it really worth it

2) buy another drive identical to one I own and put it on raid 0 array. - 2x the storage capacity while 2x the speed. Of course, not intended for critical archives.

3) Expand my ram from 8 to 16 gigs and use ram drive. - super fast caching/ virtual machine/ gaming (or anything that can fit in to ~13 Gb of extra memory). Also I heard that ram price supposed to drop at the end of this year??

so what would it be :) 

More about : ssd raid ramdisk

a c 124 G Storage
September 19, 2011 3:23:39 AM

Unless ya tell us what you are doing, it's hard to give you an answer.

1. An SSD might for example take about 5-6 seconds of ya boot time (dual boot system here starts in 15.6 seconds off Vertex 3 SSD and 21.2 off Barracude XT HD) ....is that what you looking for ? Loading an MMO takes same 45 seconds of either SSD or HD.

2. Doing video editing, then twin Barracuda XTs in RAID will be great .... just gaming ? .... you'd need a benchmark or a good stop watch to tell the difference.

3. Again, video editing ? .... it will come in handy .... gaming, nah.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,...
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 19, 2011 4:09:13 AM

1)Get the SSD
2)Get the SSD...now, in addition, and if its affordable, get a RAID 0 too.
3)8GB is fine
4)Get backup (WD My passport)
Related resources
September 19, 2011 8:44:39 AM

leandrodafontoura said:
1)Get the SSD
2)Get the SSD...now, in addition, and if its affordable, get a RAID 0 too.
3)8GB is fine
4)Get backup (WD My passport)

but but but but but but ramdisk= instant IO
m
l
September 26, 2011 2:50:05 AM

hello, are there ways to close thread w/o selecting best answers?
m
l
December 19, 2011 7:38:40 PM

1. SSD yeah better have it then sorry. and it is worth it to have but must read few more article regarding ssd tweak.

2. RAID for SSD - useless but if you don't care how much then go head without TRIM support some time RAID SSD died fast or cause some problems.

3. 8 ~ 16GB memory base - 2GB of RAMDisk is fine

make sure TEMP and History cache on RAMDisk.

all these setting will make your pc fire~ lol
m
l
a c 314 G Storage
December 20, 2011 11:57:23 AM

dontknownotsure said:
but but but but but but ramdisk= instant IO

Unless you leave your machine on 24/7, you will have to wait for the overhead of loading the contents of your drive onto the ramdisk. And how much of your OS and work will fit into a 2-4 GB partition, anyway? It might be great for working with a video project, but there is always the overhead of copying everything TO the ramdisk before using it, and back FROM the ramdisk when you are done.

ramdisk is fun, ramdisk is fast, but it's a net gain only for specific uses. I wouldn't run my OS from one; the overhead of loading it would be too much.
m
l
December 27, 2011 10:39:50 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Unless you leave your machine on 24/7, you will have to wait for the overhead of loading the contents of your drive onto the ramdisk. And how much of your OS and work will fit into a 2-4 GB partition, anyway? It might be great for working with a video project, but there is always the overhead of copying everything TO the ramdisk before using it, and back FROM the ramdisk when you are done.

ramdisk is fun, ramdisk is fast, but it's a net gain only for specific uses. I wouldn't run my OS from one; the overhead of loading it would be too much.

well then get server hardware with 192 gb ram
m
l
January 6, 2012 11:31:29 PM

Best answer selected by dontknownotsure.
m
l
!