Ssd vs three fast baracuda drives in raid 0

Aloha
anyone have any experience in running these two type of drives and comparing the day to day performance of them?
4 answers Last reply
More about fast baracuda drives raid
  1. Hello Hawaii.

SSD will beat old fashioned spinner drives hands down.

The trick is finding the right ones to use in a system. Some are good, others not so good.

With that said, Spinners are still useful for long time storage. That way when SSD's choke you can rebuild a array of RAID with a hotswap or whatever and not worry about loss.

With that in mind you need a UEFI (Did I type that right?) Board to take advantage of the 3 Tera spinners available to you.

Someday we will see three tera SSD's and boy that would be something else.
  2. 3 terrabyte is nice but if i am just going for speed and using raid 0 I won't have enough data to even make the head move if short stroke it.

3 500 gb drives is plenty of size and if i only use 10 percent of it to short stroke the array its still 150 gb which is larger then any ssd I have owned.
  3. I have used the old Raptor 150's times 4 in a raid 0 array for years. I thought that they were the best ever. And they were. Until SSD's showed up and gamers started loading into newer games before me.

I ran some drive speed checking, benchmarks and found that my vaunted Raid 0 Raptors have indeed passed by.

It's interesting you note that you don't use much space. I have seen the same myself.

Thus you may take advantage of that by trying a small number of SSD's with small capacity in RAID totalling a few hundred gigabytes. You may be able then to outperform more expensive Raids.
  4. yes
    I actually have 4 60gb that I plan to test and then sell.
    they are the vertex plus ones that are the cheapest on the market at that size.
    I have some other stuff on them now i need to move then will give it a try.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Performance SSD Storage