galahad1313

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ready to buy anytime. budget $2,000 to $2,500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, net surfing, watching movies and demos on gaming sites

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: no preference as long as they're in canada(because of duty/taxes).

PARTS PREFERENCES: only preference is on video. must be ati.

OVERCLOCKING: if it comes preclocked, CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024X768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: i have solid 2.1 speakers so a good sound card. i have an audigy atm on my other puter which i can transfer. i'm very insecure about trying to build it myself even though i've been told by many sources that its easy. i have this fear of making a mistake and ending up with $2000's worth of junk parts. but willing to try.

galahad1313

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
though i don't run them often, i use all sorts of apps like word,notepad but i will soon be playing around with visual basic, c++ etc as i'm trying to teach myself how to program and create graphics. i also surf the net a lot and watch demos, game movies.

as for resolution i don't normally go any more than 1024X768. any higher and with these old eyes, i start squinting lol.

jbakerlent

Distinguished
If you're just using it for word processing and basic programming, then something like this would be fine:

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core

MSI 785GTM-E45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal

CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

DELL S2209W 21.5" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (this would probably be easier on your eyes because even though there are more pixels, they are spread out over a larger space so their overall size is likely larger).

If that's way off try editing your post to match the form in my sig, I was a little confused by your posts.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

He is also using the build for gaming, thus it should be a little improved. I'm gonna use your build as a basis though:

-AMD Phenom II X4 955
-AM3 motherboard of choice (Gigabyte and Asus are the best brands, and I personally like the 790 chipset)
-The memory above is good, but the G.skill products are cheaper and generally better.
-Agreed with the HDD.
-You might want a slightly beefier PSU (500-600w area)
-Agreed on the case.
-Agreed on DVD, OS and monitor.
-You didn't list a graphics card, I'd suggest an ATI 5850.

Alternatively, the intel i5-750 (with a P55 motherboard) offers even better performance and a lower power consumption at a slightly higher cost.

galahad1313

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
thnx folks, gives me a few ideas at least. so the 5850 you recomend is a single, not 2 in xfire i gather and why that over the frequently suggested 2X4850 in xfire. not questioning your advice, just curious. i did read the reviews on the 5850 and i drooled.
i can price everything out on new egg and see if there's a little wiggle room left for a few tweaks like 6gb ram rather than 4. also why an i5 instead of the newer i7? would it drive up the cost too much?

galahad1313

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
almost have things narrowed down. could use a few more ideas and comfirmation on my last question from my post above, then i can start pricing all that goodness and cry my way to the bank as newegg pries the cash from my cold, clutching hands.(not because i don't trust newegg, i don't trust myself to build this system lol).

galahad1313

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
just when i think i have it all figured out, i read other reviews and recomendations and i get all confused lol i miss the old days when things were so much simpler to choose from. nowadays there's simply too many things to choose from and everyone has different opinions about the same things.(that's not a jab at people btw) but 1 system recomendation has 50 variations from 50 different people......i'm getting too old for this s**t :D . just saw an $850 rig($1316 with upgrade options) that sounds rather good on another site (& i hope this doesn't break any rules as i'm only pointing to it not recomending or advertising for it), but the question is.....is it really that good? now that i'm all flumoxed and confoosed, i'm going to go drown my sorrows with a peanut butter cup & try to make sense out of all these things b4 i make the decision. argh!!!