MSI x58 pro-e wont post.

G

I am building a new pc and the bios will not post and boot. There is not a display or image on my monitor either. The motherboard is the MSI x58 pro-e, the cpu is an i7 980x and the video card is the sapphire 5850 and a 700 watt psu. When i power it up i hear 10 short beeps followed by 5 long beeps. If i remove the usb keyboard then on the post there are no beeps but the system will cycle endlessly trying to post. Is there a short, or ram, mobo failure here? Or is the 980x unsupported becuase the bios has not been updated. Would an unsupported bios cuase 10 short beeps and 5 long beeps and not display and image and cause the the post to cycles endlessly?

D

Deleted member 217926

Hmmm a $1000 CPU on a budget motherboard is generally a bad idea. I might buy an MSI video card but no way a motherboard. Gigabyte or ASUS and a good one with that CPU. That is just a personal opinion of course but I would bet more will agree than disagree with me on this one.

Have you tried everything in the list? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

It very will could be BIOS and the only way to get around that would be to boot with a supported chip and flash to the newest one.

D

Deleted member 217926

Probably either a bad MB or BIOS then. Most likely BIOS in my opinion because that is not the newest MB on the market.

G

I inserted an i7 930 and it booted. Updating the bios now, i hope it was just the bios and that i didnt damge the cpu.