Sign in with
Your question

Major periodic display problems in xp home sp3.

Last response: in Windows XP
April 24, 2012 7:58:06 PM

Got redraw problems on desktop [ if i move a folder i need to hit refresh afterwards to clean screen] and in games E.G. FEAR or Jerico 3D objects are rendered as bunches of triangles -a different view indeed- .

System is :a Asus K8V-X MB, Radeon x1600Pro card , 1GB Ram, with BIOS upgraded {care of MBID} to oct/05 and a Samtron 76v Monitor.

Right now xp won't upgrade graphic driver to x1600pro from x1600 [ says no info about your card in the location of the new driver info i specified] and stays on 'plug and play monitor' setting.

I've seen several BSOD getting this far and have fixed any problems / files it noted [ BIOS upgrade and i removed the Radeon catalast suite for card leaving just the driver, etc].

Any suggestions to follow?
April 25, 2012 5:19:19 AM

GJL57 said:
Got redraw problems on desktop [ if i move a folder i need to hit refresh afterwards to clean screen] and in games E.G. FEAR or Jerico 3D objects are rendered as bunches of triangles -a different view indeed- .

System is :a Asus K8V-X MB, Radeon x1600Pro card , 1GB Ram, with BIOS upgraded {care of MBID} to oct/05 and a Samtron 76v Monitor.

Right now xp won't upgrade graphic driver to x1600pro from x1600 [ says no info about your card in the location of the new driver info i specified] and stays on 'plug and play monitor' setting.

I've seen several BSOD getting this far and have fixed any problems / files it noted [ BIOS upgrade and i removed the Radeon catalast suite for card leaving just the driver, etc].

Any suggestions to follow?

Is the OS on current Service Pack, and updated ?
m
l
April 25, 2012 10:34:02 AM

Yes, is XP home updated to service pack 3.

Thanks in advance,
GJL57
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2012 12:59:30 PM

GJL57 said:
Yes, is XP home updated to service pack 3.

Thanks in advance,
GJL57

Try this method to find correct driver. Uninstall driver in device manager, then reboot - Let windows wizard install one. If still a problem:

If you go in device manager, (for whichever device you need driver for)
Right click properties, go in details for the device driver.
You will see a code like per example VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS...

The VEN code means vendor and the DEV code means device: in this case the vendor is 8086 and the device is 27D8.

Once you have the two codes, go to www.pcidatabase.com.
Enter the two codes and you should get the name of your hardware. From there you can search for a driver download for your hardware.
m
l
April 25, 2012 7:20:29 PM

ksiemb said:
Try this method to find correct driver. Uninstall driver in device manager, then reboot - Let windows wizard install one. If still a problem:

If you go in device manager, (for whichever device you need driver for)
Right click properties, go in details for the device driver.
You will see a code like per example VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS...

The VEN code means vendor and the DEV code means device: in this case the vendor is 8086 and the device is 27D8.

Once you have the two codes, go to www.pcidatabase.com.
Enter the two codes and you should get the name of your hardware. From there you can search for a driver download for your hardware.

The problem is this is the windows database info which _is_ mis ID ing the card. The graphics / printing on the card IDs it as a "X1600_Pro". I want XP Home to ID it as X1600 PRO not X1600. [ I am assuming that these are two different cards- X1600 and X1600Pro ].Is my X1600Pro card a "fake" because XP IDs it as X1600?

Your site 'pcidatabase.com' does confirm the windows ID as a AMD supported 'ATI RADEON X1600'.

Lets break this down a bit...is a Samtron_76v Win95/98 driver good enough for XpHome { am not finding a xp driver }?

Thanks in advance,
GJL57.
m
l
!