Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Asus P7P55D-E

OR

Gigabyte P55A-UD3

OR

Something from this List?

5% chance of me Crossfiring ever...only when a 5870 costs $50 or even less :p

Otherwise which would you pick? Would be OCing to 3.8Ghz, and I prefer quiet. Getting a Scythe Mugen2/Antec P183 etc. for quietness.

I'm reading that Asus has more 'extras' like programs or w/e that help with monitoring stuff/OCing. And that the Asus has more phase power design which would help with OCing...?

EDIT: Don't care about eSATA/Firewire/expansion stuff. Interested in Gaming.

Solution
D
Well I agree with Badge on this one. I use a soundcard and have for years. However in building computers for others to me Realtek sounds best.

As to your other posts....I am not really sure about that Eco memory. Just not familiar with it but I have used the Ripjaw in a build a few weeks ago and was happy with it.
Looks like you did your research and got some good advice. In my opinion I would get the cheapest of those hard drives and add a SSD when you have the money.

herbaltylenol

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Yeah but I'd rather just pay $20-30 more for a USB3/SATA6 mobo now.

Just read that the Asus one has VIA audio drivers, while the Gigabyte has Realtek drivers...and I'm reading that Realtek >> VIA.

Yeah I don't care for ASUS onboard sound solutions. I use ASUS Xonar and X-FI on my main systems. I have a later ASUS VIA sound chip on a P45. It works fine. The latest Realtek drivers seem to have a lot of cutsy gimmicks. I prefer the premium sound cards for my purposes. I doubt I would buy a MB because it used a Realtek sound driver.

D

Deleted member 217926

I like the Gigabyte myself. The whole line of UD series both for Intel and AMD have been excellent in my experience. I do have to say Gigabyte and Asus are both generally of the highest quality and either would be a good choice. Sort of the BMW/Mercedes or Ferrari/Lamborghini debate.

I agree about the Realtek > VIA.

herbaltylenol

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
So I guess Gigabyte it is...

And if I understood you properly badge...you wouldn't buy Realtek over VIA?

EDIT: Will the Gigabyte board be ok for getting to a 3.8Ghz OC? I don't know much about power phases, but would that be a hindrance for the Gigabyte?

the UD3R seems to reach 4.0Ghz alright, and from the looks of it, the UD3 is the same board but with USB3/SATA6.

And if I understood you properly badge...you wouldn't buy Realtek over VIA?

I wouln't buy a MB because it used a cute Realtek driver. I would buy a soundcard if it were my main system. Otherwise I could care less VIA, Realtek, Soundmax, etc. onboard. It's not by coincidence these chipmakers do not make 'premium' soundcards like the Xonar or X-FI. They are cheap, basic sound solutions. Be interesting to see a professional comparision of some the onboard solutions. I suppose there is a standout amongst them.

Gigabyte has an Award BIOS. ASUS has an 'enhanced' enthusiast oriented AMI BIOS. Onboard audio sounds like crap with my 15 year old JCM 900 in the background.

D

Deleted member 217926

Well I agree with Badge on this one. I use a soundcard and have for years. However in building computers for others to me Realtek sounds best.

As to your other posts....I am not really sure about that Eco memory. Just not familiar with it but I have used the Ripjaw in a build a few weeks ago and was happy with it.
Looks like you did your research and got some good advice. In my opinion I would get the cheapest of those hard drives and add a SSD when you have the money.

Solution

herbaltylenol

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Thanks to both of you...Badge, I think I prefer the Award BIOS :p The AMI looks like my Dell, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't see much advantage to it.

From most videos/guides I'm looking @ to OC, they use an Award BIOS, so I guess may as well go with Gigabyte...if no advantages can be seen with the Asus :p

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-performance,2490-2.html

Gigabyte’s P55A-UD4P cuts costs by using the processor’s PCIe 2.0 connections to host its high-bandwidth controllers. Two of the primary graphics card’s 16 PCIe lanes supply its USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers, and Gigabyte disables six more lanes to make the upper slot an effective x8 interface. The USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers revert to the chipset’s 2.5 GT/s lanes whenever two graphics cards are installed, to preserve the x8 transfers each graphics card needs for optimal CrossFire or SLI performance.

Thus, users with a single graphics card must sacrifice half of its peak bandwidth to enable 5.0 Gb transfers to the USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers, while those with two cards must live with 2.5 Gb/s bandwidth limits on USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers. Neither of these sacrifices is huge or even noticeable on most of today’s hardware, yet anyone trying to future-proof their system could be left cold.