How should I format my HD?

fangerz

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hi, I am currently using a 240G OCZ SSD as my boot drive and was wanting to use a 1TB WD HD for my storage. I had to install windows on my 1TB HD so I could update the firmware on the SSD as it was having problems. Anyway, I currently have two drives with windows 7 on them and was wanting to just format the 1TB drive and leave the SSD as my boot drive. Do I need to do anything in disk management? or can I just right click the 1TB drive in "computer" and select format?

Also, in "computer" I have 3 drives showing: Local Disk (C), System Reserved (D), and Local Disk (E); I realise that the system reserved is created during windows setup; however, I am not used to seeing it appear as a separate drive - is that normal? will it go away when I format the 1TB HD?

Thanks.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
in disk management you can unmount the system reserved drive so it goes away. as for the TB yea, just quick format it. if you want a secure wipe you can run a zerioing program on it but its not needed.

fangerz

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Thanks. I formatted it and went to disk management then deleted the 1tb system reserved section and then expanded the drive to include the unallocated space. Now only the SSD and 1tb drivds appear in computer :D

Out of curiosity - obviously I don't really care about 100MB - in disk management the 99.9mb system reserve section still has its own segment; both the 931mb and the 99.9mb section are the same color and show drive (e) but they are still divided. I assume it makes no difference, I was just curious as to why they didn't just become one segment? different partitions? Heres a picture to explain what I mean:

drives.png

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
i have not seen that before. if you want to remove it you can delete the partitions. if computer management does not let you then you can go to cmd, type in disk part, list disk, select this disk number and then type clean. that will remove all partition including those that disk management will not let you.