Where was your Notebook made...........

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2004 8:30:14 AM

well look here

http://www.powernotebooks.com/welcome/Name_BrandNM.php

eric

More about : notebook made

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2004 1:50:50 PM

"Eric Shune" <dj@124btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:cagl8m$sq7$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
> well look here
>
> http://www.powernotebooks.com/welcome/Name_BrandNM.php
>
> eric

It's hardly a secret to technicians who've been in the industry for quite a
while. When laptops first came out most companies did make their own. These
days very few companies make their own notebooks anymore. These days it's
safer to think made by a 3rd party unless research can prove otherwise :-).
Of course some 3rd parties are much better then others.

Rick
A+, Network+
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2004 1:56:10 PM

Interesting, but hardly surprising.

BTW, does, anybody know whether the TP600/e/x really is a "100% REAL"
IBM creation (Aside from the CPU)?

I believe it is, but am not 100% certain.

Eric Shune wrote:
> well look here
>
> http://www.powernotebooks.com/welcome/Name_BrandNM.php
>
> eric

a b D Laptop
June 13, 2004 9:59:23 PM

Mine was made in Japan (Toshiba Portege R100) so nyah, nyah!

"Eric Shune" <dj@124btinternet.com> wrote in message
> well look here
>
> http://www.powernotebooks.com/welcome/Name_BrandNM.php
>
> eric

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2004 10:01:02 PM

> BTW, does, anybody know whether the TP600/e/x really is a "100% REAL"
> IBM creation (Aside from the CPU)?

IBM did not make the Intel processor in your ThinkPad. Sorry.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2004 11:16:08 PM

lewdvig wrote:
>>BTW, does, anybody know whether the TP600/e/x really is a "100% REAL"
>>IBM creation (Aside from the CPU)?
>>

> IBM did not make the Intel processor in your ThinkPad. Sorry.

Uh, go look up the word "aside".

[Me keeps finger ready on the "PLONK" button.]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 3:24:14 AM

> > IBM did not make the Intel processor in your ThinkPad. Sorry.
> >
> Uh, go look up the word "aside".

Whoops, not as funny as I thought I was. Please don't add me to your kill
file! It would ruin my life!!!!!

Seriously dude, plonk away (what a stupid word).

Regarding where the 600 was made, does it really matter? It is universally
accepted as one of the best designs ever. I suppose one advantage to knowing
where it was made, if not in an IBM factory, is that you might want to get a
unit from the same factory.

BUt reality is that if a company like IBM asks for quality, and pays for it,
any ODM will deliver. Look at the PowerBooks that come from the same factory
as some bargain units.
June 14, 2004 4:53:53 AM

I doubt if much of ANYTHING in ANY computer, whether desktop or laptop, is
actually fabricated by a US company. Check the far east, that's where most
things are made these days. Manufacturing in the US is almost dead.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 4:17:36 PM

lewdvig wrote:
>>>IBM did not make the Intel processor in your ThinkPad. Sorry.
>>>

>>Uh, go look up the word "aside".
>>

> Whoops, not as funny as I thought I was. Please don't add me to your kill
> file! It would ruin my life!!!!!

You bet it would.

> Seriously dude, plonk away (what a stupid word).

A stupid word for a stupid activity (i.e. trolling).

> Regarding where the 600 was made, does it really matter?

Simple curiosity. Today's laptop look and FEEL so sh*tty compared to the
TP600 series. Even recent IBMs lack the quality feel of the "older"
600's--which is why I was asking my original question.

I also recall a post I came upon during a Google usenet search, which
said that some IBM lines were in fact made by Acer. I doubt that's the
case with the 600.

I guess it's the same thing with cars. My parents had an '88 Toyota
Camry, which was made in Japan. The overall fit and finish, not to
mention the "seat-of-your-pants" fun-to-drive factor was definitely
superior to the '97 "Made-in-America" model they have now.

> It is universally
> accepted as one of the best designs ever.

Which is why I bought one on eBay last Feb.

Best purchase I ever made [on eBay].

> I suppose one advantage to knowing
> where it was made, if not in an IBM factory, is that you might want to get a
> unit from the same factory.
>
> BUt reality is that if a company like IBM asks for quality, and pays for it,
> any ODM will deliver. Look at the PowerBooks that come from the same factory
> as some bargain units.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 4:17:37 PM

EM <1@1.1> wrote in message news:<AHgzc.58026$Np3.2623318@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>...

> >>Uh, go look up the word "aside".
> >>

> > Whoops, not as funny as I thought I was. Please don't add me to your kill
> > file! It would ruin my life!!!!!
>
> You bet it would.
>

> > Seriously dude, plonk away (what a stupid word).
>
> A stupid word for a stupid activity (i.e. trolling).
>

> > Regarding where the 600 was made, does it really matter?
>
> Simple curiosity. Today's laptop look and FEEL so sh*tty compared to the
> TP600 series. Even recent IBMs lack the quality feel of the "older"
> 600's--which is why I was asking my original question.
>
> I also recall a post I came upon during a Google usenet search, which
> said that some IBM lines were in fact made by Acer. I doubt that's the
> case with the 600.
>
> I guess it's the same thing with cars. My parents had an '88 Toyota
> Camry, which was made in Japan. The overall fit and finish, not to
> mention the "seat-of-your-pants" fun-to-drive factor was definitely
> superior to the '97 "Made-in-America" model they have now.
>

> > It is universally
> > accepted as one of the best designs ever.
>
> Which is why I bought one on eBay last Feb.
>
> Best purchase I ever made [on eBay].
>

> > I suppose one advantage to knowing
> > where it was made, if not in an IBM factory, is that you might want to get a
> > unit from the same factory.
> >
> > BUt reality is that if a company like IBM asks for quality, and pays for it,
> > any ODM will deliver. Look at the PowerBooks that come from the same factory
> > as some bargain units.

Which TP600 did you get. CPU? Speed Ram HD size. How does it compare
with the newer stuff?
I'm thinking about getting a newer TP to replace my ancient TP365XD
that has given faithfull service I still have the original HD(1gig)
and have at 40meg ram which is max. Mine is a Pentiun 133 with DSTN
display. Any advice?
Thanks
JEP in Florida
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 11:58:01 PM

Am Montag, 14. Juni 2004 19:54 schrieb no_spam_here:

> I'm thinking about getting a newer TP to replace my ancient TP365XD
> that has given faithfull service I still have the original HD(1gig)
> and have at 40meg ram which is max. Mine is a Pentiun 133 with DSTN
> display. Any advice?

Depends from what you want to use the laptop for: which OS, which
programs, what tasks do you want to do with it... ?

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E

"Karl-Heinz Zimmer" <khz@kde.org> wrote in message
Am Montag, 14. Juni 2004 19:54 schrieb no_spam_here:

> I'm thinking about getting a newer TP to replace my ancient TP365XD
> that has given faithfull service I still have the original HD(1gig)
> and have at 40meg ram which is max. Mine is a Pentiun 133 with DSTN
> display. Any advice?

Depends from what you want to use the laptop for: which OS, which
programs, what tasks do you want to do with it... ?

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org
Well, at least be able to use WIN98SE but just needing something faster with
larger drive. This 133 is chugging right along but I see a lot of users here
do like the TP 600 series and I just wondered why.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2004 7:14:59 PM

EM <1@1.1> wrote:

> BTW, does, anybody know whether the TP600/e/x really is a "100% REAL"
> IBM creation (Aside from the CPU)?
>
> I believe it is, but am not 100% certain.

The 600 series and 7xx series, as well as most older T and A series
machines, were manufactured in plants 100% owned and operated by IBM to
designs emanating from IBM's in-house design studio in Japan, from parts
made by many different manufacturers. The primary difference between IBM
designs and those from other laptop manufacturers is that most of the parts
used in assembling the units were NOT off-the-shelf stock components but
were instead custom parts built to an IBM specification.

The new Thinkpads are primarily made in these same assembly plants, but are
now operated by ODMs under contract.

--
Regards,

James