Trying to find a 4890 full cover waterblock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilcondlost

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Does anyone know if there is any universal 48X0 full cover water block? Or a waterblock that I can get to fit my 4890?? Im desperate and have been looking everywhere. Im setting up my WC for my graphics card and can get just a universal GPU waterblock but Id rather have a full cover. HELP

Solution
ah, now we're talkin! :) phew...

advice's:
1| don't mod any of those asetek solutions.
i know you didn't do much digging with the sticky - but i'll be quick.
the asetek/corsair H series/antec Kuhler's use a copper base plate thas in contact with the cpu/heat producing end and the enitre loop runs on an aluminium rad.

the reason these LCS' work is cos they have corrosion inhibitors +they haven't been pulled apart after 2 years of use to see if there is any corrosion happening.

If you do mod it, you'll loose out on their secret ingredient'd corrosion inhibiting cooling liquid and run the risk of gunking up your loop after 6 months of use - depending on how much copper+alu you have in the loop+the liquid as well.

2| anything you'll do...

jonathann1818

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Well IMO, you should really be looking at getting a new graphics card.

Even if you could find a GPU full cover waterblock for that card, it would be a waste IMO given the card's age. Not that its a bad card by any means its just that there is stuff out there now that is much faster.

My suggestion to you would be to sell that 4890 for say $70 if you can get that for it and put that towards a new graphics card. Something like a gtx 560 ti would be a good enough upgrade. As a matter of fact, you could even wait till nvidia kepler arrives or get something in amds current line up. My point is that it would not be smart to invest the money into a GPU that is now getting a little dated when you can take the money you would have spent on the gpu block and selling the 4890 and put it towards a much better card and then watercool that. That will give you much better performance with a gpu that will have a much longer life.

If you do exactly this, you will not regret it.

Cheers

Lutfij

Titan
4890+full cover WB (which is rare) = +/- $200

with that same amount you can get a cooler running GPU that has more power than that 4890.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

* fyi - at this point of time you won't find full cover blocks. You will however find universal style blocks but that IMO asks you to cool the VRMS with aluminium/copper stick on heatsinks.

to answer your question - http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25576

go ahead and get the block but you'll understand what we were saying after you get disappointed :/

WORD OF CAUTION - if it is a non reference board, than that WB won't fit. also as a curious case, how much rad area dya have for cooling the cpu+gpu?

kilcondlost

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Im lookin in to a radeon 5970 depending on my options with the 4890. 5970=$300-400 where as adding a 2nd 4890+2 universal waterblocks at $50 each and $75 for the card is 175. Now the 5970 is roughly twice as powerful as both will have diminishing returns with the second gpu.

I was looking at an old maze5 gpu cooler and Im pretty sure it will fit. The main reason for the water cooling if I do decide to crossfire is that the current stock air cooler that came with my PowerColor 4890 acctually takes up 3 full slots and on the p6t slot 1 and 3 are the pcie 2.0 x16 at 16 so the way it is like now Id have to rig it with a pci riser or move it to the x4 slot.

360mm rad would be being used for cpu and the graphics card pump 500lph in a 400ml resevoir just incase you were wondering. I think its strong enough (120mm per component). Plus it has 500 cfm push airflow and 240 pull airflow. Kinda noisy but it works.

Now you said Id be disappointed is that with a universal block, any water cooling block or what exactly Im all ears because I dont want to spend 200 bucks and be running hot. And also non reference board??

Lutfij

Titan
waste of time mate, go with newer tech. If its you who has two sets of dif ram kits running in triple channel...then yeah - this sin't a watercooling question

i7 920 @ 3.9ghz 1.25v 76c
ATI Radeon 4890 1gb
Sandisk 120gb SSD
2x Seagate 500gb Raid 1
Asus P6t MB
3x2gb Kingston Hyperx
3x2gb Corsair Dominator
Asetek 240mm WC Rad
2xUltra Kaze 133cfm
Thermaltake Spedo Case
^ kilcondlost's config

1| change ram
2| get newer tech GPU's for that $200
3| not hot headed GPU's of the 70's that are like dinosaurs in terms of Directx+driver support

graphics card pump 500lph in a 400ml resevoir just incase you were wondering. I think its strong enough (120mm per component)
wait are you talking about the H50 modding? if it is that pump forget about adding anything else to it other than only one 240 rad!!! period!
@ recon - how are your 480's holding up?

kilcondlost

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
You know its funny I could have sworn I asked the question where the find a waterblock for a 4890. You know Im glad your sitting on bank rolls but maybe Im not Ive already explained the equation for the monetary situation of the problem I understand if thats over your head but its ok. But to dumb it down for you I said "Me not have enough money to get better gpu right now but me want more power". So quit trolling and help if you want, but seriously "get newer tech gpu" do you really think I havnt thought of that........seriously................sad..........Oh btw I had 2 different sets of ram in my comp because when I ordered my 2 sets of triple channel corsair dominator the 2nd set was bad and had to wait 4 weeks for the replacements. It worked fine until they came in and now I have 6x2 Corsair dominator sorry If Im not on the forum everyday to update everything I do other things in life.

Lutfij

Titan
"Me not have enough money to get better gpu right now but me want more power".
i hope this is as easy as possible for your overwhelmed brain.

Tarzan need to climb tree to see next tribe(aka civilization)

sorry If Im not on the forum everyday to update everything I do other things in life.
well at least post your system specs when you ask for advise: THG rules on posting for advise and opinion 101, include system specs(if WC loop, add WC parts+pump)

feel like i'm dealing with a 13 yr old more and more.

If you find time very valuable - don't be cranky while you're being spoonfed. You don;t ke it...i suggest stop being spoonfed advise+answers and dig them up on your own free will as google is only 10 key strokes(+1) away.

I linked the wb as per your thread question - so my job is done. If you thing your research has lead you to buy the swiftech block and it fits on your(reference/non-reference board) then go ahead...why are you asking for more attention?

_facepalm_.gif

as rubix would have done - guide and not spoon feed. Go ahead and call us trolls, but we've given you more food for thought to fill your diapers for 1 week.

@ op - i gotta ask for the sake of sanity, what is your pump for your WC loop?

kilcondlost

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
The whole point in adding a water loop is to add a second 4890 because my first ones air cooler covers up too much space as is stated and adding a 2nd one will make the first one become hotter there fore water cooling. I didnt start the negativity I just returned the favor. I dont appreciate being mocked or made to feel inferior. My question was simple and if you were unhappy with helping me then you shouldnt have done it. I looked for a solution couldnt find one I was hoping for so I came to a forum. If that is not acceptable to you then Im sorry but once again I thought thats what it was here for. Now you say spoonfeeding I say giving useless information.... food for thought wouldnt be the correct wording. That would be implying that it invoked thought. Again saying something that doesnt answer the question and is basic common sense doesnt help anyone.

Lutfij

Titan
please re-read the prev posts. Non of them were making you inferior. your eyes are decieving you... no were inferior. Might need an attitude adjustment but this isn't the place! We're here to help but you haven't given us much to work with either.

to answer your question - http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25576
as said before i answered your question. simple - short.

reference or non-reference GPU PCB - no answer
pump for WC - no answer
rad area/ heat dissipation - no answer
fans for cooling - no make/model

one thing all THG members keep mind of - not spoonfeeding mud to newcomers/youngsters!

inferior? :lol:
* with 175 you could get far better for your money on ebay/craiglist/newegg.
** i'll have a talk with the mods about the prev post and ask them to see where we went wrong before your ghastly remark.

Just a lil headsup! now that i was looking at the system specs - if they are true. you're mixing the asetek rad with the copper blocks on your GPU?

Lutfij

Titan
here's what you should do first:

hit the watercooling sticky in the watercooling section or just google up galvanic corrosion.

so no matter what blocks you choose they are all made of copper.

then,
newer GPU's for $175 will out match the eyecandy your dual 4890's will give you, honestly - its not about the numbering but benchmarks and newer cooler tech.

now,
take some time to think about it.

how good is the pump on the loop?
how much heat will these 2x4890's spew out+will my rads handle them well?
am i running mixed metals?
will i find gunk in my loop when i tear down my system for maintenance?

and please include these, while you're at it.
pump specs - model/make
rad - size and make
fans - model and make
fittings - sizes and tubing dia

This is my last try at what seems to be easy answers on a 30min googling session.

jonathann1818

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Seriously, I think you are the one with the attitude problem. You know if you had politely said that you appreciate the responses but still really want to water cool your 4890, we would be much, much more interested in helping you. This would have been better than calling us trolls and saying that the topic is "over your head". We didn't insult you so don't insult us.

However, all we are trying to do is help you. If you didn't like what we had to say then fine. We just think that a gpu upgrade would be a better path for you down the road.

Ultimately its up to you.

Cheers

Lutfij

Titan
^ thank you :)

i'm beginning to think that the asetek is whats going to be cut up and modded when OP mentioned a 500LPH pump...? If so there's the huge risk of galvanic corrosion and the issue of ending up with GPU blocks that are incapable of resale cos they will be damaged/corroded.

360mm rad would be being used for cpu and the graphics card pump 500lph in a 400ml resevoir just incase you were wondering. I think its strong enough (120mm per component). Plus it has 500 cfm push airflow and 240 pull airflow
huh :ouch: so they are better than scythe AP15's or sanaces? wow * i did a google search on 500cfm fans...had a good laugh

even if we got past the issue with the corrosion by using watercoolant premixes - which'd add more cost to the loop, there is the issue of addressing the heat load on the rads cos you have the CPU, 2x4890's and the pumps own heat signature = not good.

my 2 cents

kilcondlost

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
You know I gotta say I re read everything that you said and I kind of feel like an ass. I took what you said as mocking me but honestly I dont think you meant to insult me. So even tho it pains me to say I apologize. I hate being wrong I was/am in a pissy mood I got broken up with on friday via text message and haven been quite the same and have been burying myself inside my computer and car just trying to keep myself occupied.
Anyways its 2 rads the 240mm and 120mm and the cfm is divided up between 3 fans pushing (supposed to be 400 cfm) they are delta 139cfm fans and I have 3 yate loons pulling.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Alright guys, let's settle down...I think it's all been a matter of misunderstanding. To address your questions, for the cost you are looking to sink into your current GPU, you might as well use that money for a better card down the road. If you currently have a CPU loop and wanted to add your video card, this would be a viable, cheap option to go with a universal block and some RAMsinks/VRM coolers. However, if you are wanting to build a loop just to cool your card, you are looking at somewhere in the range of $150 (just to toss out a value) when that money (or a bit more) could get you a better card to begin with.

Trust me, I'm here to support and encourage people wanting to get into watercooling, but part of that is helping them understand what are wise choices and what situations could be addressed with different, viable options. A waterblock on your card isn't going to get you more power out of it unless you are going to be overclocking a significant amount, but you'd also likely need to volt mod to get a substantial jump in performance. If heat is your concern, you can always pull the stock cooler and replace the factory thermal paste with some better stuff (as the factory paste is often very thick and pasty) which can easily net you 5C cooler temps in many instances.

Either way, I just want to help present the best options for the OP with the apparent budget presented.

kilcondlost

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
The reason that I am looking to build the loop is because I'm considering adding a 2nd card and the biggest thing is space since my current card is too tall to allow another card to fit. Also the heat while in crossfire I know will be hell on the top card.
Now if Im looking at purchasing a new GPU vs a second 4890 what would be a viable option for that price range. A 6970 would be close but I think 2 4890s would still be more powerful. But even one of those is $300 which is twice what I'm looking to spend (though I guess I could take off $70 for selling my current 4890)

Lutfij

Titan
So even tho it pains me to say I apologize
apology accepted, now can we get about solving this thread - please? + ease up a lil, these things happen more often than not.

if you're in fact running delta's - hmm they are quiet erm noisy!

240+120? where'd ya get them? post a pic of both of them if you can't recall the makers.

i'm trying my best to keep you in the watercooling arena but WC'ing the 4890 doesn't seem like a good option, though we can work it out... we actually want you to have a good experience long after you've made the choice to cool/buy anything. Thas why we're trying our best to find out what you're working with.

have you read the questions i posted here - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273820-29-trying-find-4890-full-cover-waterblock#t1965394 ?

please post back with these answers.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

I believe one HD7850 might have a similar performance than 2xHD4890 in "lower" settings (that do not fully use your HD4890 memory)
If you raise the standard, you will surely hit a memory bottleneck first in the 2xHD4890, and in that way the HD7850 shall be significantly better.

Without mentioning the not superstellar scaling in HD4XXX (it's good, but far away from the newer HD6xxx and HD7xxx series).
Sum up to this equation the lower TDP, lower temperature and always 100% performance performance from the card (sometimes Crossfire do not kick in due to drivers, see Skyrim, it took weeks before people could use crossfire at it)

Stock cooling and it yet OC like hell. Can't say for everybody, but if I were you I would totally go HD7850.

kilcondlost

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Radiators- the 240mm radiator is an asetek 570 http://www.asetek.com/products/oem-standard-products/cpu-products/240mm-products/570lx.html
the 120mm radiator is a modified asetek 550lc http://www.asetek.com/products/oem-standard-products/cpu-products/120mm-products/550lc.html

Pumps- Standard pump for the Asetek lclc
GPU loop would be using http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13690/ex-pmp-140/Phobya_DC12-220_12V_Water_Cooling_Pump_-_DC12-220.html?tl=g30c107s153
Fans- Pushing 3 Deltas http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8551/fan-530/Delta_120_x_38mm_4_Pin_Dell_Replacement_Fan_-_14834_CFM_AFC1212DE-SP02.html?tl=g36c435s1106
Pulling 3 Yate Loons http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10455/fan-689/Yate_Loon_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_-_Open_Chassis_D12SH-12.html?tl=g36c435s1102

As for everything else I am waiting til I decide if I want to do it or not. I got the pump back when I was thinking about modding the 570 but havnt used it yet. Yes deltas are noisy but the Yate loons keep it cool on idle I turn the Deltas on when I do anything more than getting online.

Lutfij

Titan
ah, now we're talkin! :) phew...

advice's:
1| don't mod any of those asetek solutions.
i know you didn't do much digging with the sticky - but i'll be quick.
the asetek/corsair H series/antec Kuhler's use a copper base plate thas in contact with the cpu/heat producing end and the enitre loop runs on an aluminium rad.

the reason these LCS' work is cos they have corrosion inhibitors +they haven't been pulled apart after 2 years of use to see if there is any corrosion happening.

If you do mod it, you'll loose out on their secret ingredient'd corrosion inhibiting cooling liquid and run the risk of gunking up your loop after 6 months of use - depending on how much copper+alu you have in the loop+the liquid as well.

2| anything you'll do after modding is down hill after that. since the rads won't dissipate much heat. You have a cpu tha runs hot and then you have GPU's that'll be hotter.

end point:
you'll have a nice loop to look at but functionally its not working nor is it good on your wallet as the corrosion can spring a leak, drop temps and give bad perf's on your rig and eventually leave you dead in the water.

3| start with a fresh loop with one metal in it+ hold onto that phobya pump - but find some reviews about that pump. last i checked it ain't good :/

4| but for now, get a GPU for that money and crossfire it later on...could wait for nvidia to launch their lineup to see if AMD new cards drop in prices(who knows older cards could drop too)

5| need something now..actually wait a lil or go for the AMD 6xxx series cards.

hope that helped.

P.S: the pumps on them LC's are ewak for starters. modded a H50 - which is the same as any asetek 550LC and the temps start o plummet after you add more than 240mm of rad and it has trouble negotiating other blocks. (if you're planning on using the 55LC's CPU contact plate/pump chamber)

FYI - the pump is located above the cpu inside that chamber for both your asetek's mate.

* now i did exactly what rubix doesn't - and what i avoided in the initial posts...too much info :/

Solution

kilcondlost

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130762&Tpk=560%20ti%20evga
This card is $520 on evgas website and Ive been eyeing it for a while but its always been out of stock on newegg. I figured it was a clearance price and would never be back in stock but it magically appeared back in stock today :) so I think Ill go with that. Its refurbished but its powerful and Im not overly familiar with Nvidia but the 560 ti is still quite powerful right? Let me know as soon as you can because I think Im goin to buy this.

Status
Not open for further replies.