Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Setup confusion...

Last response: in Motherboards
April 28, 2010 8:48:46 AM

Hi guys. Long time PC junkie, first time poster.....

A little info first:-

MSI 770-G45 MOBO
OCZ Gold 4gb DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333MHz RAM Speed, CAS 9-9-9-20 Timings, 1.6-1.65v VDIMM)
AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black
Corsair H50 Cooler
XFX 4890
Thermaltake Toughpower 700w Modular
Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive

I am having serious problems even getting this setup to post, let alone get into windows. It is a new build btw.

All I am getting is a flashing cursor a few lines from the top of the screen. If I reset the CMOS via jumpers I can sometimes get the MSI splash screen then a screen telling me date and time/CMOS settings are wrong. I can sometimes get into the BIOS, but normally just the flashing cursor.

All fans, MOBO lights, drives and lights are on. No MOBO beeps heard.

After a little investigation I thought it may be memory compatibility - the rear of the OCZ packaging states it is optimised for i3, i5 and i7 MOBOS, but having spoken to Aria, they couldnt understand why that would be - in fact it should work with AM3 boards.

I suggested it may be voltage - board states 1.5v, mem is 1.65v but further reading suggests this should be ok.

So basically, need some help on this one!! Is there anything else it may be? Are my suspicions on memory founded?

thanks in advance

More about : setup confusion

April 28, 2010 9:04:13 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I should say, I am fairly experienced PC builder ( i build 2 or 3 a month on average) - the run-of-the-mill diagnostics have been done (ATX cable, thermal paste, front panel connectors etc.)

I was really looking for clarity on the DDR3 front as that is a new area for me (DDR2 all the way until last night!) also my first AMD system as it happens.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 9:14:09 AM

Quote:
No MOBO beeps heard

You can sometimes get into BIOS? Well, if you have spare parts you could try known to work video card, RAM and CPU. Otherwise, remove all the RAM. Be sure the MB speaker header is connected to a working speaker and boot the system. If the MB does not sound an error code signifying there is no RAM in the system, the MB or the CPU or both are bad.
April 28, 2010 9:29:37 AM

Good shout, i'll try that and post the results.

Thanks again
m
l
May 5, 2010 8:23:08 AM

Best answer selected by Wishdokkta.
m
l
!