Sign in with
Your question

Acer Aspire M5640 powers on but does not boot

Last response: in Components
January 17, 2010 1:25:33 AM

My computer does not boot up. I tried removing each internal component and installing it another computer to verify it is working and it does. Checked the hard drive, RAM, processor, DVD Drive and they are work fine. You can hear the computer power up, LED's come on but I get nothing. HELP!!
January 17, 2010 2:31:54 AM

Have you tried the monitor?
Unfortunately, without any more details, I can't see how we can help other than suggesting things you may have missed.
m
l
April 21, 2010 4:21:08 PM

**********HELP****SOS*********HELP**********SOS****************
Hey Guys!!!!!

This AM5640-U5401A system has given me hard time mentally and financially lol.

It does not post to the monitor. (Turn the monitor ON automatically)
I can hear the fan running and blue light.
When I plug it up it starts automatically running I can hear the fan. With me turning the power on.

Thought it was a videocard or power supply. Which I did diagnose by switch power supply and applying other video output and it was not the case. So I decided to buy the mother board like you guys mentioned it was around $250.

I changed the mb and still no sign on the monitor. Since it was refurnished system from co seller from ACER. Which ACER refered me (capital data) . Then i thought they send a bad one. So got another same motherboard and spec. Funny they all acts the same. Don’t really know if they send me an non fuctional mother board again? Not sure. So I have 2 so called new mother board and my previous one.

Do you guys think the mother board they sent me might not work (what are the chance of that)?

Still This Crapy Acer not working.

OH When I switched the mb, the only thing they share was the heat sinq and fan.

Can anybody tell me what the problem is pls?

Tnx a million. Email me manual if you guys can nevergodowninlife@yahoo.com
************************THANK YOU*****************************
m
l
Related resources
April 21, 2010 4:21:18 PM

Hey !!!!!

When I plug it up it starts automatically running I can hear the fan. With me turning the power on.

Thought it was a videocard or power supply. Which I did diagnose by switch power supply and applying other video output and it was not the case. So I decided to buy the mother board like you guys mentioned it was around $250.

I changed the mb and still no sign on the monitor. Since it was refurnished system from co seller from ACER. Which ACER refered me (capital data) . Then i thought they send a bad one. So got another same motherboard and spec. Funny they all acts the same. Don’t really know if they send me an non fuctional mother board again? Not sure. So I have 2 so called new mother board and my previous one.

Do you guys think the mother board they sent me might not work (what are the chance of that)?

m
l
June 21, 2010 4:57:51 PM

Got the same problem going on with my AM5640-B5406A desktop motherboard. Did you ever find a solution? I can see what happened on the motherboard but don't know if it is a cause or a result. I can see the motherboard has been overheated under Q5 and Q32 FETs. These are located between the memory slots and ATX power connector. The backside of the motherboard is brown under these components. I don't know if these failed or some other component failed taking these out. Its looking to be a design flaw.
m
l
Anonymous
September 30, 2010 5:55:12 PM

Ii got the same problem. Did anyone manage to find a solution?
m
l
February 10, 2011 2:48:20 PM

Same here... fans spin, hard drive spins, optical mouse does NOT light up, keyboard does NOT light up, no video appears... tried swapping RAM to different slots, removed pci modem, tested power supply good, tried HDMI out, no picture using VGA or HDMI out. no post beeps
m
l
March 25, 2011 7:28:55 PM

I just bought one for 10.00 ,all it had was motherboard cpu ,They had taken everything else out.So after reading up and doing it to one laptop and it worked .I took a heatgun to the motherboard and replace 1 capacitor.It worked as I am typing with it now.
m
l
April 4, 2011 3:12:21 PM

rodtoo40 said:
I just bought one for 10.00 ,all it had was motherboard cpu ,They had taken everything else out.So after reading up and doing it to one laptop and it worked .I took a heatgun to the motherboard and replace 1 capacitor.It worked as I am typing with it now.

I'm having the same issue. Which cap. did you replace?
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:21:50 AM

Hey guys I am having the same problem with the M5640-B5401A i tried switching psu, monitor, video card and still nothing. All the fans spin also, but i dont get any post beeps. I tried reseting the bios and taking out the mobo battery for 5 mins and still nothing. I really hope we can find a solution because this is really annoying.

Thanks.
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:24:13 AM

ethio said:
Hey !!!!!

When you switched out the mobo's did you use the old cpu, or did the new mobo's come with one?
m
l
March 5, 2012 2:44:12 AM

Have tried plugging in an external monitor?
Or holding FN key for five seconds before hitting F5 while continuing to hold FN key down?
m
l
February 17, 2014 8:43:11 PM

Have the same issue. If there's a power failure or the computer is shut down it doesnt boot. I think its the case that is the problem.

Ive booted it up several times by disconnecting/reconnecting the power supply until it has the power on but doesnt light up. Then it has the power light come on and boots normally. Then I leave it on for as long as possible. Lol
m
l
!