Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Borderlands and HD4850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 9, 2009 1:03:22 AM

I am running a 3.0ghz dual core amd 4gb ram asus m4a78 pro and HIS HD4850 512mb with a 600w psu

I am finding so far in 2 areas the only name of one area i can recall the name is krom or krums galley when i look around facing a certain direction (theres a large bridge) i find i get bad lag but i look anywhere else and it runs completely smooth my girlfriend has a very similar computer but her graphics card is just a 9800gt but i ran them both together in the same area looking at the same place mine lags looking at that place and hers doesn't why would this be? has it got something to do with that nvidia physx being in the game or not, I also have my gpu overclocked to 700 with ccc this is the only game i have a problem with with this card

More about : borderlands hd4850

November 9, 2009 1:14:52 AM

Sephy said:
I am running a 3.0ghz dual core amd 4gb ram asus m4a78 pro and HIS HD4850 512mb with a 600w psu

I am finding so far in 2 areas the only name of one area i can recall the name is krom or krums galley when i look around facing a certain direction (theres a large bridge) i find i get bad lag but i look anywhere else and it runs completely smooth my girlfriend has a very similar computer but her graphics card is just a 9800gt but i ran them both together in the same area looking at the same place mine lags looking at that place and hers doesn't why would this be? has it got something to do with that nvidia physx being in the game or not, I also have my gpu overclocked to 700 with ccc this is the only game i have a problem with with this card

probably just bad drivers and optimization on 2k's part. If it's only that part then I dont think it should be that big of a deal.
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 1:18:26 AM

well nah its not that big a deal but i just wanted to figure it out really, but would they probably get around to fixing that up for ati cards
m
0
l
Related resources
November 9, 2009 1:19:58 AM

Sephy said:
well nah its not that big a deal but i just wanted to figure it out really, but would they probably get around to fixing that up for ati cards


well you can always report it or see if anyone else is having the issue, so they could fix when they have a new patch. If it's ati related then new drivers could fix it.
m
0
l

Best solution

November 9, 2009 1:20:33 AM

The game is heavily optimized for Nvidia hardware. A GTX 260 Core 216 runs faster than an HD 5870, ugh.

Source
Share
November 9, 2009 1:22:39 AM

brockh said:
The game is heavily optimized for Nvidia hardware. A GTX 260 Core 216 runs faster than an HD 5870, ugh.

Source


Wow, did not know that. So yeah, like I said before bad optimization by 2K.
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 1:32:42 AM

brockh said:
The game is heavily optimized for Nvidia hardware. A GTX 260 Core 216 runs faster than an HD 5870, ugh.

Source

Does that mean that the next ATi driver will contain the hack to let ATi cards use the Nvidia code? [:mousemonkey] :lol: 
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 2:31:33 AM

I checked out my fps in the areas where i get alot worse fps it drops from about 42-47 to 20 then everywhere else is around 38 - 52 I hope they do something for this cause even the 8800gt is beating the 4850 :( 
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 2:46:08 AM

Well you might want to see what others find when they run the code, there might be an easy fix like there was for Batman, essentially renaming the game allows for options, and removes pointless crippling in nVidia sponsored games (like making ATi card do the AA work in Batman even when they aren't allowed to use the resolve to display it).

I would suspect that performance will change shortly, whether it's a hack or a patch.
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 3:47:53 AM

My HD 4890 performs well enough to not bother me, but I can definitely tell when I use a shock-heavy gun and people are spamming rockets and such around me with tons of enemies on the screen it stutters a bit. I also turned on D3D10 and some extra quality settings in the configuration file as well though, so I doubt that's helping.
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 3:53:46 AM

No slow downs for me and my 4890. Everything on high, 1920 x 1080... silky smooth in all areas thus far.
m
0
l
Anonymous
November 27, 2009 7:11:13 PM

I had been trying different catalysts 8.6 - 9.11 for XP Pro and over clocking changing display settings, changing settings in the willow ini files renaming the exe file to bioshock and ad3 or whatever and it's all bull!!!
I'm running a 3.2 gig AMD 6400+ and 4 gigs ram 32 bit XP Pro 2 ATI 4670 HD @1gig each 850Watt Power Supply with Big 3 large fan heatsink and display 1920X1200. Don't get me wrong. I could run the game on HIGHEST everything and could play for a long time and then for no reason hard kick! Not even during an explosion or something where the graphics are hard on the cards. It would just stop.
GO TO omegadrivers.net AND GET WHAT YOU NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Save yourself the pain of playing -20min games, grey areas, big squares,loading and unloading catalysts, reading crap from everybody under the sun.
I had never used them before but will from now on!
Just make sure you restart your computer after you load the new Omega drivers because if you don't you may get booted from the game again. I didn't restart but after I did I had NO MORE PROBLEMS!!!!!!
I played for 4+ hrs today going to Windows and changing settings but it was no longer effected. I'm running full out and it's great.
ME HAPPY!
Dgumba
m
0
l
February 27, 2010 3:00:32 PM

Borderlands is lagging big time on 5870 with Phenom 965 @ 3.9ghz. It's not even playable in the Secret Armory expansion due to so much lag. This problem needs to be fixed quick.
m
0
l
June 22, 2010 5:06:43 AM

abzillah said:
Borderlands is lagging big time on 5870 with Phenom 965 @ 3.9ghz. It's not even playable in the Secret Armory expansion due to so much lag. This problem needs to be fixed quick.


Switch off dynamic shadows. that is the main cause of lag on ATI hardware.

Not an ideal solution, but my framerates more than double.

I'm running an Alienware m17x i7-720qm with 4870x2 (game should be solidly on 100+fps with my config, but due to "TWIMTBP" ATI hardware generally sucks in this game)
m
0
l
!