Can't seem to leave my new computer on overnight.

UrbanToaster

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
When I leave my computer on for an extended period of time and then come back to it, it's turned itself off. When I click the power button, the fans start spinning and my desktop appears with no boot up screen, it just appears immediately. However, the downloads/scans/changes that I'd left it to do are nowhere to be seen.

The CPU temp never goes above 29 degrees celcius and hovers around 26 degrees when idle, according to amd overdrive, with the scythe mugen 2. I'm sorry but I've no idea what the ambient temp is. Does anyone know an average ambient temp for Ireland? or if it matters at all.

Anyway, why is it just "hibernating" without me telling it to? Is it amd cool n quiet or something?

Spec, If you guys need it because maybe it's something other than the cpu causing this:
Phenom II 955
Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P
OCZ Platinum DDR3 CL7
XFX 5850
Corsair HX750W
[if any other parts matter, tell me]

Thanks in advance.

Solution
This is not a temperature problem. It really starts with options set in Windows for Power Saving settings. Your machine must be set to go into a "sleep" mode after a fixed time of no activity on keyboard or mouse, apparently even if it is in the middle of some long operation. In doing that it saves everything it was doing and does NOT shut down. So, when you walk up and push the power button, it VERY quickly resumes exactly where it was - no boot process involved at all.

Read up on the various details of Windows Power Saving settings.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is not a temperature problem. It really starts with options set in Windows for Power Saving settings. Your machine must be set to go into a "sleep" mode after a fixed time of no activity on keyboard or mouse, apparently even if it is in the middle of some long operation. In doing that it saves everything it was doing and does NOT shut down. So, when you walk up and push the power button, it VERY quickly resumes exactly where it was - no boot process involved at all.

Read up on the various details of Windows Power Saving settings.

Solution

UrbanToaster

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Oh really, that simple...well I look like the noob, lol.

Only one thing, the downloads I had running didn't continue after I powered up again. I had to go round to all the download sites again and restart the various downloads.

Anyway, thanks a million, Paperdoc.