[CASE MOD] add a fan to a side window?

klunuts

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I have a haf 922 and I'm planning on adding a side window. However I also want to be able to add a fan onto the window and I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Can anyone help? Thanks! :)

klunuts

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
yeah well a lot come up about adding a fan to the side, but I want to add it to the actual window. I'm not stupid, I know to google things first, but normally the answers I can get from people here are better than the ones I can find on no-name sites.

Add a fan to the side panel case window:
1) Make sure the window material is sturdy enough (thickness) to support the fan's weight.
2) Make sure the window is firmly attached to the side panel, commonly with rivets, screws, or strong double-sided tape.
3) Will the fan be intake or exhaust? Plan the fan's location: at GPU level, a little lower, or a little higher?
4) After deciding 3), use the fan as the template for marking the screw holes and air-opening.
5) Re-measure and re-check the template on the side window.
6) Cut the air hole.
7) Drill the screw holes. Or, if you would rather use double-sided tape instead of screws, you won't have to drill screw holes, and the tape will serve to dampen vibration and noise - use transparent tape, and don't plan to remove the fan once it's installed.
8) If you use screws to attach the fan to the window, be prepared to make and use a thin gasket to put between the window and fan to dampen vibration and noise.

I do case mods and have worked with a variety of window panels. I'm just going to add a little bit to what was already posted.

The cheapest place to purchase panels are at a local hobby shop. Purchase an extra one to practice first.

Cutting the blow hole in a widow panel must be done carefully and slowly. The easiest way to do it is to use a variable power electric drill and a hole saw. I bought a 4.5 inch hole saw with an auger at my local hardware store years ago. It's just about the right size for a 120mm case fan.

Set the variable speed electric drill to low speed. This is very important. Atempting to drill at high speed will literally melt the window panel. It will be ugly. It can also crack the panel.

First use a small drill bit to make a hole at the spot that will be the exact center of the fan. This will prevent the auger bit from travelling all over the panel when you start to drill the blow hole.

Next drill the blow hole. After drilling the hole you can smooth the rough edges with a small round jeweller's file and then use either rubber or plastic channel molding for a very nice clean look. I have used both rubber and plastic molding in a variety of sizes for metal and window panels. They all worked well for me.

I don't care for standard fan mounting screws. They do not look good on a custom job. I use either screws or nuts and bolts available for a few cents each at my local Ace Hardware store. My favorite are the black round head metal screws and the black round head nylon nuts and bolts.

The black channel molding, black screws, and a black fan grille make for a very professional look.

Good Luck!

The second link had pretty detailed directions on adding the fan to the window. I guess I should have posted the link instead.

TRENDING THREADS