4890 producing Artifacts.

darkeva

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
For some reason my XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 at factory settings artifacts after a restart. It never starts (or has yet to start) artifacting when the computer is on. Even from temperatures ~88 C from a GPU stability test. It only seems to do it after I restart and turn it back on immediately.

At first, my solution to the artifacting was to pull down my removable motherboard tray and it seemed to fix it. Though, it didn't always solve the artifacting. I was thinking that the GPU was somehow was bending the motherboard when it had its flat side facing the bottom of the case even though everything is mounted correctly.

Just minutes ago I drew a more plausible diagnosis. Every time I restart the system after being on load from a test, it would produce artifacts. I haven't tested this when the motherboard tray is down. After I wait a while, it would start up with no artifacts.. So maybe it has to do from heat? Though it would not artifact from higher temperatures (88C) at which it was subjected to during GPU stability tests. I restarted at ~73C.

There have been times when the computer told me that it can't display the screen on the monitor. Sometimes it would be pure static lines.

So I'm wondering what's wrong with the card and what should I do with it? Should I RMA it? Or will they (NewEgg) even take it. It has been less than 30 days since I have bought it.

Newegg would probably take it back, they are fairly lenient. However, you could try (to get more evidence) underclocking the card a notch and see if it still artifacts. Are these artifacts occurring in windows, or in a 3d app/game? Also, what is you PSU (and the rest of your specs)? Also, if you miss your 30 day window and we prove there are issues, XFX has a good warranty and service, so you will still be fine.

darkeva

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks for replying. The artifacts show up everywhere. Less noticeable in windows but you can see some "twitches" in the screen sometimes. There were dots on the bootscreen. Sometimes it shows nothing when I boot but white with red and green static lines.

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

MB: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM

HD: Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

leon2006

Distinguished
What is your display and what display configuration are running?

Have you had a chance to configure your display using CCC?

I have seend artifact issues when the displays are not set correctly(i.e. when set beyond its natural pixel matrix size).

darkeva

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Forgive me but I'm not sure what I understand by display configuration or natural pixel matrix size. I didn't change much in CCC except setting AA and AF to max. My display is currently an old Dell 14'' that only supports up to 1024x768 resolution. I probably won't be getting a new monitor till around Black Friday.

Edit: Sometimes the text in the bootscreen would be jumbled up.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
This sounds like a faulty graphics card. Not many other explanations for erratic behavior like that.

If it's still within newegg's return policy point, they'll swap it out quickly for shipping costs. That's your best option at this point.

darkeva

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I see. Maybe I will RMA it. What video card would do you guys suggest ~200-250? or should I just get another 4890. I probably won't buy another one till next year.