Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can I upgrade my GPU or Graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 9, 2009 1:39:08 AM

I have a HP Model G50-133US laptop computer with a core 2 duo 2.16x2 cpu, 3 gigs of memory, Mobile Intel 4 Family GPU Chipset. SIW says I have three open PCI-E slots, one of then an 32x or x32. Can I use a PCI slot for a graphics card? Can I flash my GPU? I haven't opened the case as the computer is still under warranty. I would though if I could put a hot grapcics cardin it.



Also and off topic, I would like to flash my bios but cant find the flash utility. There is a .exe utility at Intel, but I hear the CPU has to be flashed at boot for the bios to open up its full potential. Can someone direct me how to locate the correct bios flash utils?


thanks
John
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2009 2:04:36 AM

No, you cannot change the graphics card on a laptop. There are not standards like for desktops, and you can't really buy new ones. Pretty much the only ones sure to fit are the ones they put in you specific laptop, if they are even changeable at all. Also, why do you want to flash your BIOS? I would not recommend it unless you are encountering problems. Each BIOS flash utility/technique is unique to the Mobo, so you will have to check your manual or with your manufacturer.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2009 2:05:03 AM

Does your laptop have the X4500 or Geforce 9200M graphics? I don't think you can upgrade your laptop.

Only use HP BIOS specifically for that laptop. Look for WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS
HP G50-133US Notebook PC
m
0
l
Related resources
November 9, 2009 3:14:33 AM

EXT64 said:
No, you cannot change the graphics card on a laptop. There are not standards like for desktops, and you can't really buy new ones. Pretty much the only ones sure to fit are the ones they put in you specific laptop, if they are even changeable at all. Also, why do you want to flash your BIOS? I would not recommend it unless you are encountering problems. Each BIOS flash utility/technique is unique to the Mobo, so you will have to check your manual or with your manufacturer.


Thanks for your reply.
I traded a tower for this notebook. It was a middle-end HP, Dual-Core, 4gigs of ram, thermaltake cpu cooler. I upgraded it as much as I could afford to. The bios was locked and many features not available until the guy who I traded with flashed the bios. Then it suddenly had Raid-5 the 4 gig memory cap was removed, and some of the cpu and gpu features were accessible which weren't before.

I figure the same will happen with this notebook. I am looking for the bios flash utility. It won't do any harm to look in that direction. If anything, the worse that can happen is I will merely find it doesn't help.

Can the gpu be flashed?

m
0
l
November 9, 2009 3:17:59 AM

What are the PCI-E slots used for then?
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 6:19:45 PM



WR2 said:
Does your laptop have the X4500 or Geforce 9200M graphics? I don't think you can upgrade your laptop.

Only use HP BIOS specifically for that laptop. Look for WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS
HP G50-133US Notebook PC


The Bios is Award. HP put it's name on it and another party created the "WinFlash" I think my friends found the flash utility. I of course have to travel to another town to haqve it flashed.

This is why I traded for the latop. It's not versatile unless you have to take it someplace; I mean it wont run DOOM 4 but it will allow me to take it places which is great..
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2009 9:36:26 PM

TheBones said:
I figure the same will happen with this notebook.
Have you see any one else with that laptop having success doing what you propose?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2009 1:50:24 AM

Some OEM boards are the same as the Retail counterparts and can have the bios's flashed (Retail bios to OEM board) to support the full setup/features but you run the risk of killing the motherboard by flashing the incorrect bios etc

Your laptop on the other hand will not have any retail counterparts and you WILL kill it flashing the wrong bios to it - dont attempt it

As for Laptop GPU's - 99% are hard wired to the motherboard, and the other 1% (like my Dell 9400) have the slot but the video board its self is pretty custom so even if there was another to replace it with the fittings would all have to be the same etc so not even possible even then.
Share
!