start menu

August 29, 2004 10:30:20 AM

Can someone tell me how to remove duplicate items or
items not necessary on the startup menu. I am sure it is
a touch situation like the registry, so I do not want to
mess anything up. Please tell me anything I need to
consider.

Thank you,
Eric

More about : start menu

August 29, 2004 11:29:06 AM

Couple of ways to do it:

1- Start > Run > Type "msconfig" > click on Startup tab and uncheck any
duplicate items and unnecessery startup items. Back to General tab and check
"Selective Startup" > re-start pc. ( i do not recommend msconfig)

2- Start > Run > Type regedit > navigate to
find the duplicate startup items and delete.

Note: Always backup before tweaking, editing registry.
August 29, 2004 11:45:02 AM

Also a great site, Super Tweak for Windows XP to visit:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

The List is pre SP2 Services list, few new services added after sp2
installation, leave alone these new services (DCOM Server Launcher etc.)
!