start menu

Can someone tell me how to remove duplicate items or
items not necessary on the startup menu. I am sure it is
a touch situation like the registry, so I do not want to
mess anything up. Please tell me anything I need to
consider.

Thank you,
Eric
2 answers Last reply
More about start menu

    Couple of ways to do it:

    1- Start > Run > Type "msconfig" > click on Startup tab and uncheck any
    duplicate items and unnecessery startup items. Back to General tab and check
    "Selective Startup" > re-start pc. ( i do not recommend msconfig)

    2- Start > Run > Type regedit > navigate to
    find the duplicate startup items and delete.

    Note: Always backup before tweaking, editing registry.

    Also a great site, Super Tweak for Windows XP to visit:
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

    The List is pre SP2 Services list, few new services added after sp2
    installation, leave alone these new services (DCOM Server Launcher etc.)

Configuration Start Menu Microsoft Windows XP