Sign in with
Your question

External HD Backup help?

Last response: in Storage
September 19, 2011 9:41:14 PM

I have two external Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB 3.0 HD's. One for the business PC and one for my personal PC.

My Passport Essential SE
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=430

User Manual
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-70505...

I've never had an external backup HD before so, I could use some suggestions on the best way to back up. I am unclear if I should use the Western Digital My Passport Essential SE "AUTO" back up software or just do it all manually???

I got a rootkit on one PC and had to re-format so, I put Windows 7 on my PC but previously had XP. However, doing that caused some issues since the file structure is apparently different. Now, my documents are a mess because I have 7 copies of everything and they're *NOT* the same. I actually regret re-formating to Win 7 now.

On the business PC, we got a new 500g HD because the old 80g went bad. I re-formated with the same old XP because that PC is the older PC from around 2004. I plan on a new build when I can make it a "clean" PCIe 3.0 / next generation build. So, I'm trying to decide if I should clear that ex. HD or not, which still has the old/bad HD storage on there. And, if I should back up manually or "auto" but, with only one copy this time?

More about : external backup

a b G Storage
September 19, 2011 9:47:40 PM

it kinda sounds like you didn't actually format your xp drive but rather installed 7 on top of it. in either case it requires some sorting it sounds like. i prefer to backup manually or use an imaging software such as achronis to backup my entire drive and do sequential backups from time to time. i do not put much faith in the stock backup software with external HD's. most backup software is going to make duplicates
September 19, 2011 10:01:46 PM

If ncc74656 is correct and you did not remove XP there will definitely be issues. I would reinstall and completely remove XP. XP is an old OS and inferior in many ways to Windows 7 64bit. I am very satisfied with Windows 7 and have not had any issues with the factory backup system it is actually pretty simple to use. Many will argue, but many also do not give it a second thought to adding third party programs to their PC.
This my 2 cents.

PS: I would never use any software that comes with a external HDD. The programs are usually junk. Either use Windows backup or an outside source as ncc74656 suggests. No matter what you pick it will be better than WD's software.

Related resources
a b G Storage
September 19, 2011 10:15:30 PM

oh man.. windows backup!!!! you just brought be back to windows 98 and windows 95! i miss those backup applications, they were so perfect! and simple! i also miss windows 98's defrag... the long nights with popcorn watching the blue invade and take over the green :-( *tear*
September 19, 2011 10:45:22 PM

Quote:
ncc74656 "it kinda sounds like you didn't actually format your xp drive but rather installed 7 on top of it. in either case it requires some sorting it sounds like."

You're exactly right. I did the quick install & simply put Win 7 over XP - I assumed that was good enough. Should I not have done that? Do I really need to re-format? I will if I really should.

And yes, I've been putting off all that sorting for months. I'm confused on what I should get rid of and what I need to keep because I was used to XP. I have a ton of notepads to sort through with loads if information I need to keep.

Quote:
elmicnip "PS: I would never use any software that comes with a external HDD. The programs are usually junk."

LOL, that's what I've been hearing now that it's too late or after I already made that mistake. I was hoping the newer WD ex-HD's would've fixed those issues but, no.
a b G Storage
September 19, 2011 10:56:28 PM

yes, yes, yes, never ever ever install an os over itself with out knowing how to sort out all the stupid kinks. never do upgrade when you can do clean install. you should backup your data and format. plus the virus you had is still there, infecting your new os. you didn't actually fix anything, just covered it up briefly.
a b G Storage
September 21, 2011 8:43:38 PM

yea... i recommend doing your own backups. once every few months or so do a full documents backup, once a year do a full drive backup and just copy files you need to have over as required. there is smart software that can do this for you but its expensive.
!