Sign in with
Your question

Possible DOA mobo

Last response: in Systems
October 31, 2009 12:26:51 AM

I'm putting together a home build I bought off of NewEgg and it seems like I'm DOA.
My case came with a free psu that wasn't compatible with my mobo so I replaced that after I couldn't get it to power up. I installed a new PSU: a Fatality 550W and I'm still DOA...
Here's my build:
CPU---------------
Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 Wolfdale 3.06GHz

Mobo-------------
MSI P45 Platinum LGA 775 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM--------------
mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066

Video-------------
GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video C...ard

HD----------------
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Case-------------
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case

(PC2 8500) Dual Channel LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

I've doublechecked my front panel cables, checked my CMOS jumper, disconnected the video card, HDD, and DVD R/W. The only thing still on my mobo is a stick of RAM, the CPU and the PSU... I'm a first timer and am getting frustrated. I doubt that I happened to get a bad board, but I'm pretty sure I've done everything right... Any thoughts?

More about : doa mobo

October 31, 2009 12:32:18 AM

Put the video card back in.

Double check the 4/8 pin CPU power connector next to the CPU socket. It needs to be plugged in.
October 31, 2009 2:29:12 AM

Lots of things could have gone wrong.
Are you using motherboard standoffs?
EPS power plugged in? (That's the 4 pin CPU power)
Is the switch on the PSU turn to the on position?
What happesn when you hit the power switch?
Do the fans spin up?
Are there LEDs that light up on the MB?
Do you hear any beeps?

The computer would have booted up with just the CPU and RAM.
!