Sign in with
Your question
Solved

All air cooling for AMD8150 + crossfired cards, best setup?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 4, 2012 11:01:03 PM

Hey. I have the above Frio OCK setup in a Thermaltake Chaser MK1 Full tower case (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1393&ID=20...) to cool the new AMD zambezi chip (8150). I have used fans in the past and wanted to go with that over the recommended liquid cooling rigs for this chip -- but I'm running into probs here with heat.

How I received the pc: I have two top fans and they're both intaking air. In addition, my CPU cooler is sucking air in from the top, with the aid of the 200intake up top too and blowing downward across the crossfired graphics cards, and hopefully out the exhausting side panel 200mm. The gpus are so close together and are hot items. The front fan intakes, which I think makes sense, as does the bottom fan. However, the rear fan seems to be intaking too.

What do you think is the best rearrangement for this air flow? I'm thinking turning the Frio OCK to exhaust out the back and pull in from inside the case. Then, switching the tops to exhaust and flipping the side panel to intake. Then I'd have 3 exhaust on top/top rear, and the rest (front, side, bottom) intake -- with the Frio pushing out away from my crossfired cards and out the back.

I'm also hoping to separate these crossfired cards into the 1 and 3 slots, with maybe even a pci fan in between, although I do audio work and I want my secondary audio card well positioned there too.

Right now it's looking like heat is an issue with graphically intensive programs -- probably due to my graphics cards throttling down and eventually causing a restart. I think the cpu is fine, but it could use some cooling help too I'm sure. On idle, I'm recording a 95degree (F) temp on the mobo, 120degree (F) on GPU one of two HD6850s (crossfired), 93 degrees (F) on Vcore-1 and 93 degrees (F) on the CPU.

Just tested until it restarted (with starcraft on low settings playing itunes in the background) and it restarted:
CPU heat went from: 93.2 F to 104 F before restart. GPU (tsshader reading) went from 126.5F to 140.9 F before restart.

Best solutions? It's a sabertooth 990FX board btw. I might have to lose a stick of ram to rotate the cpu cooler, but it's worth it I think. Thanks. I'm reading up on recommended thermal compound here now atm anticipating this will be a project in a week or so. Now if only I can get some time away from work to do this.
a c 182 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 2:18:06 AM

Intake = front/side/bottom
Exhaust= rear/top

Best solution

March 5, 2012 2:50:12 AM

you could even make all intake except the top,

but your TEMPS are in FAHRENHEIT!!!! those temps are just fine.
Related resources
March 5, 2012 3:09:51 AM

well #$#! If these temps are fine, I wonder wtf is going on then causing the restart. I'm going to immediately go and say my raidmax 1000w psu...

Nonetheless, worth the work to flip the CPU cooler so it's exhausting out the rear rather than over the cards and out the side?

I suppose there's no solid reasoning behind why my comp. cooling system is set up this way? If I change it, then I'd know everything is up to snuff with temperature and I can worry about other stuff, and eventually OC properly when I'm ready. I just hope I don't make it worse while resetting this cooling tower on rails so it's pushing air east to west rather than north to south.
March 12, 2012 1:55:09 AM

Best answer selected by peaveygtr.
!