Graphics Card Advice

richie2837

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Hi everyone, completely new to customising computers, and I'd just like some recommendations fo what I can do with my son's old(ish) desktop pc. I want to put in a more powerful graphics crd than the one he has now, but I don't know what would be compatible.

The motherboard is a 865GM2-LS - Microstar Micro-star MSI. If yu need any more info I have Belarc Advisor installed on it so can provide you with more details. I'm not looking for a hugely powerful one, something that can comfortably run games like Dawn of War.

Thanks in advance!

algozron

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Hello! I'm new in the crossfire and I have some questions... I hope you can have some answers.

So, Ill try to describe things with the most understandable way.
I build my pc alone. I just took all the parts and made it. The only problem I had, was with the 2 graphic cards because I didnt know how to connect them. I found out that u have to connect them with those 2 small but wide cables to work together.
I have windows 7 and the latest Ati catalyst control center. My crossfire is enabled and if I go at the antialiasing options I have the 16X option available if I want.
My question is as the thread, when does my second graphic card being used? Isnt crossfire supposed to share the work between the 2 cards, or its only being used my primary and the 2nd one is used in games that support crossfire?

shubham1401

Distinguished

List full system specs and Power supply(PSU) specs...
And Budget for upgrade...

shubham1401

Distinguished

Don't hack others thread.
If you have a problem and need help then make a separate thread for yourself...

There is an "Ask the community"option in the forums...

I did a quick search for your motherboard and it seems to have an AGP slot. This may limit you selection and new cards may have a higher cost as AGP is pretty much unsupported anymore and no one is really making graphics cards. As Shubham said above, we need your Powersupply specs, at the least, to make a good suggestion. The specs can be found on a sticker on the side of the unit. We will want Wattage and the 12V numbers.