What would you do?

jadawgis732

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I have a 1TB drive on a home server (optiplex gx520) running Windows HS 2003. I want to increase the capacity to 3TB+ and there are only 2 Sata ports. How would you do this? I'm thinking along the lines of pci Raid card, but I don't mind upgrading to a new MB+CPU. But I don't want a reduced IO for the storage. The reason I want raid (I really don't) is because without it I'd have to store stuff on two independent volumes, and access them independently, right? I mean I know about Windows 7 libraries, which can add two different folders to a single accessible folder, but what other ways could I do access folders from independent drives in a centralized place other than RAID? How would you guys attack this problem?
Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Without upgrading the MOBO and such, your best bet would be to set up a RAID 0 between 2 newer 2TB drives, but that only gives you 2TB, not the 3 you are looking for. If I were you, I would probably upgrade the MOBO with something that has more SATA ports. Don't mess around with a PCI raid card.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
How many PCI-E slots do you have left? I was having similar issues with my file server. I only had 4 sata ports. I bought a PCI-E x1 raid card and now I have 4 more SATA ports. I'm not using it for raid though, just needed some more SATA ports. It's been working fine. No slow downs or bottlenecks that I'm aware of.