File extention is lost when renaming files..!

I did a silly thing the other day and deleted the system
fonts folder by mistake..! Although I've restored the
folder and installed the fonts when I use some appz they
don't have the original font displayed ie Notepad etc.

The other annoying problem is when I try to rename a file
the extention is lost, I then have to manually add the
file extention to read the file..?

Can anyone help...

Thanks in-advance Lee.
1 answer Last reply
More about file extention lost renaming files

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:44:26 -0700, Lee wrote:

    > I did a silly thing the other day and deleted the system
    > fonts folder by mistake..! Although I've restored the
    > folder and installed the fonts when I use some appz they
    > don't have the original font displayed ie Notepad etc.

    Notepad is a text editor. It will render a text file with whatever font is
    selected under Format> Font. Use a program such as Wordpad to show
    formatted text.

    > The other annoying problem is when I try to rename a file
    > the extention is lost, I then have to manually add the
    > file extention to read the file..?

    You have your system set to show known file extensions. A good practice
    that can help you catch malicious files with names like picture.jpg.exe. A
    caveat to using this setting is that you need to include the extension when
    renaming/saving a file. Example: Renaming "picture.jpg" to "oldpicture.jpg"
    requires you to type the *.jpg portion manually or, if in a dialog window,
    select JPG from the Save as Type: dropdown list.

    If you use the default setting to hide known extensions, you do not have to
    type in the extensions. Convenient but the caveat with this setting is that
    you have to think twice before double clicking files. Reason: The first
    example I gave (picture.jpg.exe) will be displayed as picture.jpg. Files
    that are named in this manner are intended to "trick" the user into
    thinking they're safe and they usually contain nasty surprises.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Configuration Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP